Those left behind

Making his way back to the outpost he couldn't pull himself from lamenting for Sabine.

Looking out across the frozen plains he saw smoke rising from what should be nothing. "Mhm, that's not a good sign." Turning to investigate he makes his way to the smoke.

Slowing down when his comm started beeping he answers the call. "Tristan, how goes the search?" He sighed at his mother's question. "I found the wreck but now way to check the inside of it. I found his lightsaber a few yards away from it." Ursa hummed at his report, not happy to not have the body but happy to at least have the lightsaber. "His child will be glad to have that one day, at least."

"Mother, I'm moving to investigate what the imperial's are up to. I'm seeing smoke and I'm seeing a lot of machinery on my helmet's scanner." He waited a moment having to listen to his mothers humming as she thought. "Alright, I approve. I would be surprised if they were doing anything other than making a clearing for the invasion later this week. At least we think it's later this week."

He nodded, agreeing with her. "I could see that as the cause. Especially after that attack earlier." Cutting the connection with Tristan Ursa turned and made her way to Sabine's room. Striding down the hall she was met with looks of sympathy from her fellow clansmen. Standing in front of Sabine's door she took a deep breath.

Opening the door she stepped into the darkroom only to find items and furniture strewn across the floor along with paint applicators and spare weapons. Looking to the bed she found Sabine's armor at its feet, Sabine herself was the small ball underneath the covers.

"Little one, are you awake?" A small, quiet, and raspy voice responded. "Yes." Ursa sat down on the bed next to her. "Little one, I understand how much he meant to you. But please, don't lament. He chose your life over his own. He saw in you what you don't see yourself."

Sabine shifted under her covers. "What do you mean? He saved me, I would have rather he didn't." Ursa leaned over and draped her arm over her. "Little one, I know you haven't noticed yet but you're glowing. I know that look well. Look to your nails." Watching just her fingers come out from the covers she watched as Sabine poked her head out. "They're so white- white, Mand'a! Mother, I'm, I'm..."

Ursa took Sabine's hand and smiled. "You see now, he couldn't allow you to be harmed or to die with him. You're not truly alone, Sabine. He may have had to leave you, but he didn't leave you without a parting gift. He fulfilled the vows as best he could. So now you have to as well."

Sitting up Sabine took a deep breath. "I should... I should go see the doctor. See what shape the baby's in." Ursa squeezed her hand then helped her out of bed. "Little one, you've been here for not even a full day. The baby is fine, what you need is a hot meal, for both of you." Sabine nodded as Ursa led her out the door.

Tristan sank to one knee and dropped his range finder. Looking out over what he thought was imperial construction. What he found was devastation. "Mand'a, what happened?" Looking out across the devastated field he awed at the fires, the melted down machinery, and the many killed stormtroopers, still in melted armor. "Looks like the Duchess but weaker. But who would use such a thing?" Rising he remounted the speeder bike and made his way towards the empty battlefield.