Chapter 07

Dedicated to -glossierush

Mom called yesterday.

Ghastly accident.

He's in a coma.

"He's in a coma."  Isla slumped her shoulders glumly, staring at her palms.
"A coma. A freaking coma. I'm here sitting, about to fail Chemistry, while Craig is in a coma. I have to do something. I can't just let him lie there." Her eyes widened, and she placed her hand on her chest.

Her pulse was beating faster than ever before. Thump. Thump. Thump. A shiver erupted in her bones. Her hands shook, and she dropped her pen. It fell on the floor with a clatter. Isla's teeth were chattering despite the heater in the hall.

The invigilator strode to the front of the hall, adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.
"Listen up, guys. This exam starts in two minutes. Knock this paper out of the park! And, good luck!"

Winter craned her neck to get a better view of Isla and mouthed, "Oh boy. Let's get this shit over with."

But sweat was running down Isla's forehead, leaving her hair plastered wet behind her ears. She shook her head. A tear slipped out of her eye.

"I have to get out of here," she whispered to herself, badly wanting to believe that she was doing the right thing for everyone.

She dashed to the front of the hall. When she stood before the invigilator, he rolled his eyes at her figure. She clutched her pen, then wiped her brow with her face towel but said nothing.

He exhaled heavily. "If you're dumb, can you at least get out of my way?"

"I'm not dumb, sir. I need a permit to get the hell out of this hall." She glared at him, placing her hands on her hips.

"Relax, this is between you and me. The management will never know. Just tell them I didn't show up at school today and they'll let you off the hook." She tilted her head to one side, dipped her right hand in her back pocket and fished out a black card which she flashed before his eyes.

"I'll wire you the money. Can I go, please? Or you can have this card if you prefer. Please, Mr Spencer." she drew out his full name.

His focus flickered from the card to her and then back to the card.
"I'm incredibly sorry, Miss Dehler. But it's prohibited by the management. I'll have you reported to Principal Jenkins for suspension."

She laughed softly and played with the tip of her curls.
"No one can suspend me. You and I both know that this is just a stupid stunt on your part. You want the money. Just take it and let my bitchy ass out. I'm way out of your league."

His lips rounded to form an O. Spencer adjusted his tie with shaky hands, as he pursed his lips so tightly that not even a feather could pass through, lest he condescend to her level to trade insults with her.

"Get. The. Hell. Out." He pointed at the door, right into the hallway.

"Get the fuck out of here, damn you!" His nose twitched so much that his glasses fell off them, stumbled down his face and shattered to shreds of glass on the floor at his feet.

"Bloody hell. Get the fuck out of my face," she gasped, then kicked the pieces of glass all over the floor.

Shoving the card into her jeans pocket, she stomped out of the hall. Snow drifted in flakes outside, forming sheets of white on the roofs of the cars in the parking lot and coating the trees in white.

Isla breathed into her hands to warm her fingers before rubbing her eyes, dodging under the rays of light spilling out from the windows into the corridors until she was safely at her locker.