Chapter 15 ~ Craig

A/N: Brace yourselves for a long chapter! XD

Closing my eyes, I recalled when Isla revealed that Novah was her half-sister. She'd done it with tears. And her body was shaking as if her life depended on the secret. But Mom didn't bat an eyelid.

"Is it true?" Isla clutched my hand with all her might.

I gulped. I could tell she was would never speak to me again if I said yes. Because I saw right through her.

"Nope. I'm the only child Mom has. I guess she didn't want to share her love for me with anyone." I shrugged, and pulled her closer for a hug.

"She just wants to make you jealous. Wait, you're jealous enough already, eh?" I winked.

She just heaved a sigh as if a burden was lifted off her chest. Her curls fell across my chest. Back to the drama. Mary and Joseph were looking for the room in the inn.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

What? I never thought I'd hear her say those words. She lifted her head from my chest to study my face with puppy dog eyes. Oh my God. Oh.
My.
God.
She looked so freaking cute.

"For what?" I asked.

"I should never have brought up Novah. I mean, she was your girlfriend, and you're still mourning her. I'm so pathetic," she moaned.

My gaze flickered to Mom. The anger that vanished before resurfaced. I couldn't believe she just made my best friend have a heart attack yet, she didn't budge. Isla closed her palm over my fist. I looked down at our knotted hands, and I realized she was trying to calm me down. Boy, she did. Sometimes, I felt insecure about how she could, and did alter my feelings anyhow she wanted.

"You're not pathetic. Oh yeah, you're one heck of a bitchy ass. Pushing away those who want to help you with your damn problems. Hurting me right here." I placed my hand over my chest. "But you're still my best friend. And it's forever".

She flinched. Had I said something wrong?

"Only if you're fine with that," I added, hoping that would discourage her from doing anything stupid.

Between her and me, I wanted total honesty. We had lied to each other for too long, and I was tired of hurting her over and again. And searing my own conscience too.

But I couldn't tell if she was joking about that apology or not. Isla was a damn good actress when she felt like it. If only she were that good on the set, I wouldn't have met, or fallen head over heels for Novah. Those memories were killing my soul piece by piece, and I was sure nothing would be left by the time I relived all of them.

In tenth grade, we were shortlisted in the cast for Macbeth, to make up for never turning in our homework. We spent our study time licking ice cream and watching Netflix. Isla was chosen as Lady Macbeth, but she messed up her lines so much that the teacher gave up on her.

"Cut!" He yelled.

Ouch. My ears hurt.

"Get off that stage, Miss Dehler. You know nothing about acting!"

She flashed her smile at him, folding her hands across her small breasts. I smirked.

When she saw my eyes travel in that direction, she flushed red but continued, "The nerve you've got! I'm so fucking done with acting this stupid play. And you know what? I'm going to get an A plus."