25- thestrals

thestrals

thestrals

{1995}

Gryffindor Common Room

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Harry had sprinted up to the boys' dormitories to fetch the Invisibility Cloak and the Marauder's Map from his trunk. He was so quick that he and Ron were ready to leave at least five minutes before Hermione hurried back down from the girls' dormitories, wearing scarf, gloves and one of her own knobbly elf hats.

'Well, it's cold out there!' she said defensively, as Ron clicked his tongue impatiently.

"Al, you coming?" Hermione asked.

"I... I'm really exhausted." Alula said. "Tell Hagrid that I hope he's okay."

The trio left, leaving Alula by herself in the common room. She sat down by the fire and started to write a letter.

Dear Aunt Cissy,

I think you've known for a while that I might send you a letter like this. I wish things were different- there wasn't a war or such hatred between families. So many things are beyond our control. You protected me as much as you could, you took me in and cared for me as if I was your own. For that, I am so very thankful and it makes this so much harder to do.

Today I severed ties with Draco. I should have done it differently, but I don't think that I could have mustered that much courage, even for a Gryffindor.

This is the last letter I will send to you, Aunt Cissy. I have picked my side and that lies with my father and my friends. I have them now, but I will never forget you and Draco. When this is all over perhaps we can rebuild our family- cousins befriending cousins. I'd like that.

Farewell for now,

Alula Nova Black

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Hermione ploughed her way back to Hagrid's cabin through two feet of snow on Sunday morning. Harry and Ron wanted to go with her, but their mountain of homework had reached an alarming height again, so they remained grudgingly in the common room and Alula stayed to help. They were trying to ignore the gleeful shouts drifting up from the grounds outside, where students were enjoying themselves skating on the frozen lake, tobogganing and, worst of all, bewitching snowballs to zoom up to Gryffindor Tower and rap hard on the windows.

'Oi!' bellowed Ron, finally losing patience and sticking his head out of the window, 'I am a prefect and if one more snowball hits this window - OUCH!'