Chapter 29

The night crept out of its eternal cave. The stars shone like cameras. It was too dark to be outside, but still bright enough to be surrounded with a soft glow. Hogwarts had taken full advantage of the celestial beauty and created the spectacle of the Yule Ball. The windows were frosted clean, air wintry. But the chandeliers, festive food and mesmerising dancing took the weather out of everyone's minds. Besides, it was the Yule Ball. Nothing could stop the whirlwind of a thing.

The champions had already begun dancing, Leta in Theseus' arms, Amelia in Henry's, smiles plastered all over. Newt was heart stricken, for it had been at least thirty minutes in a spiral of wait. Everything around him gleamed with excitement, but his internal self could feel nothing but embarrassment, shame and angst. Had his girl betrayed him? Surely not! But his thoughts led him to such a conclusion, and the insecurity was attempting to take over. He listened to them with caution, before coming to a consensus.

"Look." They echoed, "You had fun while it lasted, but she's given up on you. Headed for the extroverts and social beings. I have to admit, Newt, you aren't like that. She's dumped you, for real." He sighed and slumped down, scanning the surroundings. He saw many of her stature and mannerisms, but not her.

"Maybe she's preparing..." He muttered, settling for optimism. "She wouldn't settle for less, right? In my case, she was petrified without me! Come on!" His tie was loose, so he straightened it. Hair was also untidy, so he made it a priority to fix that. The dishevelled appearance was like a bad habit to him. Something that couldn't be stripped away. His eyes blinked slowly, almost into a mellow sleep, until he spotted Theseus pausing on Leta and coming to his aid. Newt couldn't tell whether he was grateful or not.

"What's wrong?" He scolded, tone hitting a confused Newt like ice, "It's the best night of the year. Cheer up!" He slapped his shoulder, and the brother dismissed him. It wasn't comfort, it was a beating.

Newt sluggishly made for the table of food and drinks. He was underage for alcohol, but he felt like he could use one. The sharp tang of the Butterbeer shot cut to the core, but that aspect didn't help. His head was freezing up, and for whatever reason, that satisfied him, so he took two more full glasses in his hands and sat back down. He'd left his case in the dorm, hoping to give it up just once! His insides churned with a fuelled feeling known as disgust. He was disgusted by his own actions, but mostly disgusted at her. Noelle. The pure soul that only complemented him more. The girl that shone of brightness. The person that acknowledged and accepted his controversial interests. The stranger that brought him to life.

As much as he tried, he couldn't let her go. He wasn't even trying to break up. His mind had changed, grown manipulative to hijack his own self. What was even going on? And all of a sudden, she appeared. Stunningly dressed in turquoise, hair pulled up neatly in a bun with two tailing strands by either of her ears. There was no makeup on her porcelain skin, only little specks of jewellery made with silver and what appeared to be sapphires that were subtle but gorgeous nonetheless. Her smile was beaming, as expected but as she laid eyes on him, it drooped down. Her eyes grew wide with trouble.

"Newt, what's wrong?" Her voice was soft but distressed as she held her dress with care and sat down. "You can tell me... Is it your brother?"

His eyes were glued to the floor. Not the girl. His lips were sealed. He had nothing to say.