02. THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

PILOT

$  $  $

$  $  $

Knock. knock.

I took a step back from the tall, extravagant door and smoothed the end of my dark dress. I waited outside the Pemberton's house for a quick minute or two before the door swung open, revealing Sabrina's resting bitch face. She faked a smile and spoke, "We don't want any."

Sabrina began to close the door but I stepped out before it was fully shut. I rolled my eyes. "Cool it, princess, I'm not here for you."

"Yeah, you're here for my idiot brother," Sabrina pointed out, rolling her eyes as well. "Which makes me lose more, if not all respect for you."

"I don't need anything from people like you," I muttered.

"Get your poor people shoes are out of my house," she demanded with growing anger.

"Jesus," I huffed. "What do you have against sneakers?"

"Nothing as long as they cost at least one hundred and fifty dollars," Sabrina retorted. I wanted so badly to swipe her sly smirk off of her smug face.

"Well, let's just pretend these are one fifty-one," I remarked. I attempted to push the door open, but Sabrina held onto it and refused to let me move it.

"I'll break your foot before I let you into my mansion," Sabrina spat. Her dark eyes stared down into mine, while I flared back up at her.

"Do it then."

"Do what?"

"Break my foot," I stated. Sabrina glanced down at my Converse that was still propped between the door. She looked over to her hand that was still holding the door firmly before regretfully releasing it. "That's what I thought."

As I pushed past Sabrina and stepped into the huge house, I heard her take a stab at me again from under her breath, "Ghetto girl."

I stopped in my tracks when I saw Mickey lying on the floor, dressed in a fluffy, white wedding dress. Ben was staring at her with a colorful but terrifying bird mask on his face, while Chip was just making her way into the foyer. He froze slightly when he saw me standing next to Ben, but shook off his nerves as he swaggered over to me. "Sup," he greeted me with a false confidence. I could easily see past his facade.

"You're being weird," I stated simply.

Chip's shoulders tensed as he replied, "No I'm not! You're the one who's being weird." I raised an eyebrows and sent him a look, which made him turn away in a huff. He didn't like being wrong.