Chapter 4- Leaving

Mackenzie's POV

I woke up at 7:00 after my mom yelled "wake up, Kenzie!" Today was the day. It was competition day. I changed into my Abby Lee Dance Company sweatshirt and leggings, and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. After brushing my teeth, I went downstairs for breakfast. We all quickly ate our breakfast and walked upstairs to get ready. I helped my mom pack our makeup case. Once we were all ready, we drove to the studio.

The competition today started at 10:30 and it was only 7:30 now. We practiced our group dance for 45 minutes. During that time, of course Maddie didn't get negative feedback but I obviously did. After the group dance rehearsal, Maddie, Kendall, and I ran our solos. First, Maddie did hers. I thought she was good but I didn't know what Abby thought. Abby clapped at the end of Maddie's solo. Next was Kendall's and I thought it was beautiful. Abby clapped for hers too. Lastly was ... mine. I tried my hardest on my solo. Abby yelled at me, "Where are the straight legs and pointed toes?!"

After rehearsals, we got on the bus to drive to the competition. The competition was held near Pittsburg, so it only took about 30-40 minutes to drive there. We opened the door to a room marked ALDC and walked in. It was 30 minutes before the competition would start so I got started with my hair and makeup. My mom did my hair, while I applied my makeup. The makeup was natural but with a dark pink lipstick. I changed into my cute costume for my solo, Out of My Mind.

------

"Act number 45, Mackenzie with Out of My Mind", the judge yelled through the microphone.

I walked on stage and went to my beginning pose. I did my side aerial. It landed hard on the ground, but I still continued through the choreography. I knew I had to beat Maddie. The rest of the dance I thought was good.

I watched Maddie's and Kendall's solo. They were both amazing. We all walked back to the dressing room together. Abby yelled at me for messing up, but she gave nice compliments to Maddie and Kendall.

I knew I didn't have a very big chance of beating Maddie and Kendall, but I still wished for the best.

At awards, we all walked onto the stage and listened for each award given. "And in the junior division, 3rd place with a score of 287.3, Mackenzie with Out of My Mind," the announcer said.

I didn't win but I had a small chance of beating Kendall and Maddie. I sat there praying that they wouldn't beat me. "In second place with a score of 294.6, Maddie with Reflections.

'No! Maddie beat me. I couldn't bare getting beaten by Maddie. I knew Kendall would probably win. ' I thought.

"Now, in first place with a score of 297.5, Kendall with Victorious!" The announcer yelled. I geared huge cheers from the moms and Abby. I saw Kendall stand and walk over to get her award with huge smile on her face and I knew she was proud. Kendall looked so happy getting first place and I was happy for her too, but I had a bad feeling.

'Maddie and Kendall beat but I couldn't deal with it.' I thought.

"In the junior group dances, first place goes to act number 52, Hollywood Stars!" the announcer said.

After the awards, I ran off the stage and down the hallway. I ran outside, tears rolling down my face. Everyone else was too far away to notice me though.

I continued running until I came to my destination, the large meadow about 3 miles away from home. I sat down on the green grass and cried. Tears rapidly spilled down my face as I cried. I felt so sad that I couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't survive the favoritism.

I just cried all night and eventually I was asleep.

-----------

The next day, memories came overflowing and I woke up to the sun shining. I had no idea what time it was though. I knew my family, Abby, and the girls would've noticed that I left already.

--------

Each day, I couldn't stop thinking about the memories from Saturday. I didn't know if I wanted to return home or not. I missed everyone terribly, but I just couldn't make the positivity to return.

After everything that happened I didn't know if I actually did want to return. After everything with Maddie, Abby, the competition, the favoritism, I just didn't know.