Chapter 8- Try

Mackenzie's POV

It was finally time for the competition. After arriving there, all the girls got ready. I quickly put on my solo costume, since I was performing my solo before the group dance. My mom did my makeup and hair. Then after that I ran my solo in the dressing room and walked with the girls backstage. I kept trying to think positively: I can do this. I can prove them wrong. I can win and perform this dance better than anything Maddie has done.

"Up next is Mackenzie from the Abby Lee Dance Company with her solo, Skyscraper!"

I walked onto the stage and started dancing as the song started to play. I performed the dance with my heart like it was the last solo I would ever perform. I felt myself doing really good, until it was time for the dreaded turns combo. I was never really good at turns so I was scared when it came time to do the hardest part of my dance: 5 a la secondes and 4 pirouettes. 1-2-3-4-5 a la secondes, 1-2-3-4 pirouettes. I ended my dance nicely. After I performed, I had a strong feeling I would win. I wasn't competing against any of my own teammates though, so I didn't know how good the other dancers were.

When I came back to the dressing room, Miss Abby didn't yell at me or even say anything to me. My mom and the girls praised me, before they started getting ready for the next dances.

It was time for the group dance and I performed everything the way Miss Abby wanted me to. I applied all the corrections and performed it just as well as my solo. I knew I would make Miss Abby and everyone else proud.

When it was time for awards, we sat and waited for the announcer to announce our awards. I was hoping I would win, so I could finally prove that I could win.

"And first place is Mackenzie Ziegler with Skyscraper from the Abby Lee Dance Company!"

I stood and walked over to get my award. Finally, not 2nd or 3rd or anything else, but 1st. I could see my mom being really surprised and proud that I had gotten 1st place, but I couldn't see Miss Abby's expression. I wondered how she would react. I hadn't gotten 1st place in a long time and especially after all those criticism from this week, I didn't think I would win. Also, it was a lyrical/contemporary solo, which isn't my forte.
The group dance also won 1st place and we got a big trophy. This was probably one of the best dance competition experiences I've had in a long time.

Later, Miss Abby pulled me out of the dressing room, so she could talk to me. I was scared what would happen, since she might still not be happy with me, but she said simply, "I guess you proved me wrong."