𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓕𝓸𝓾𝓻

"You know the defendant Mr. Wilson?"

"Yes, we have worked with each other for a very long time."

"In that time you've known her, has she ever been...unapproachable, cold, keeps to herself."

"We all have our bad days."

"But how many bad days did Ms. Romanoff have?"

"I don't see how this is relevant-

"Answer the question, Mr. Wilson."

"Ok. Natasha, like every person on this Earth, has had a few bad days. Maybe more than others, but that doesn't mean she's a bad person. Listen, Natasha is a good person with a shitty life."

"A murder's life is hardly what one will call 'shitty.'"

"But the thing is she isn't a murder, and there is always a story breathe every crime, whether or not you are too stuck up to see it."

"Has Ms. Romanoff ever disappeared, during the day?"

"She's a cop, they have things to take care of."

"But she has a partner, wouldn't he have been with her? Has there been a time where she has disappeared without Mr. Rogers?"

"I can't seem to remember."

"Ms. Wilson, may I remind you that you are on oath right now."

"...maybe once, or twice."

"Lately?"

"No. Steve and Natasha have been attached at the hip lately."

"Why is that?"

"I don't believe that has anything to do with the case."

"Humor me, will you Mr. Wilson."

"Fine. Steve is...he's practically in love with her, he's a lovesick puppy worshipping the ground that Natasha walks on."

"would you say that he would do anything for her?"

"No. Because Steve has limits. I can see what you're trying to do, don't forget I am a cop. Steve Rogers was not involved."

"But Ms. Romanoff was."

"No that's not what-"

"That will be all. Your honor, may we take a recess."

*

"Nice one Wilson, you not only threw Natasha under the bus but you threw Steve there too." They were all huddled in Natasha's holding cell. Bucky, Sam, Steve, Maria and Natasha of course.

"They took my words and twisted them. Your fancy-ass lawyer didn't tell us the other dude was a grade-A asshole."

"Sam you're a cop! You know how this works." Bucky bites back.

"Pepper did warn you, Sam. She told you that Garret was going to do whatever it takes to win his case." Steve muttered. He was sitting directly in front of Natasha. Her eyes tired and worn down, and it was only the first day of trial. "Are you okay?"

"Did you know that jail cells are dark all the time? Like I came out today and it was just so bright. I didn't even know it was morning when I woke up. Figured I was just having trouble sleeping again. It was nice, even if it was in a courtroom, to feel a sense of normality."

Steve wanted so badly to reach over and grab her hand. It was probably cold. He wanted to protect her from this, from everything. He's gladly taken the blame if it meant that she could leave.