𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓱𝓻𝓮𝓮

A quick but important chapter

Day of Natasha's arrest

Natasha sat there quietly tapping her desk. She was playing with the end of her hair and not really doing any work. Bucky and Sam sat across the way watching her very carefully. They hadn't torn their gaze away from her, only watching as she examined the wall.

"I think she's broken." Sam finally whispered to his partner.

"Do you think it's cause Fury benched her for today," Bucky asked.

"No." He said. "Maybe it's cause Steve left her-"

"Will you two idiots shut the hell up?" Both men turned to see Maria Hill walking into the room, her uniform neatly on, the gun on her hip shown, a sign of intimidation.

"Babe!" Sam smiled nervously at his wife. "what are you doing here? Come to spend lunch with you dear husband?"

"Hell no." She said, giving him a teasing smirk. "Nick called me in. I have to talk to Romanoff, going to take her to lunch afterward."

"You know you show more love to her than you do to me." Sam frowned playfully.

"Relax Sam. I can come to cuddle with you if you want." Bucky smirked over at him.

"See look, you got a better offer." She smiled.

"I'd rather stab my eyes with a fork," Sam said shaking his head. "Okay well, you go do your thing babe. I will be here with the idiot."

"Great." She smirked and turned to walk away. Only hearing the two men arguing as she walked away from them. She walked into Nick's office with that smirk on her face, however, that quickly faded when she saw the look on Nick's face. "What's wrong Nick? Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?"

"Romanoff is facing arrest charges." He said not bothering to sugar coat it, or beat around the bush.

"What? Is this some kind of joke? Because if so it's not funny-"

"Hill I need you to do something for me." He said ignoring her comments. "my hands are tied here and I have no way of knowing what's going on. So I need you to find out what's going on over there."

"Yeah yeah..."Her voice began to fade, realizing how serious this actually was. "Do you think that... that she could be arrested."

"Hill. Call your friend." Fury said instead. His voice was cold and harsh.

"yes, of course, right away sir." Hill nodded and then walked out of the room, ignoring the staring eyes of her husband. Nick watched the young officer leave before turning his eyes over to Natasha.

"I won't let anything happen."

A few hours later

Steve came walking back into the precinct with a milkshake in his hand, and a burger. If he knew his partner, he knew she hadn't eaten all day. He was upset with her, yes, however that doesn't mean he stopped caring about her, or ever will for that matter. Besides what kind of person be if he knowingly let her miss out on dinner.

His day was completely boring. Nothing was happening out in Brooklyn, it was completely quiet, which was odd because there is always something happening. But it allowed him to reflect on last night. He realizes that maybe he was out of line.

He shouldn't have loaded all of that on her, she wasn't ready! He was barely ready. He had dreamed of telling her how he feels for a long time, and in every dream, it never happened that way. It should have been special. She deserved better, not some stupid confession in the back of a car that has ripped seats.

He was so in his mind he didn't hear the argument that was loud and intense at first. He walked in with a confused look on his face as he watched Bucky and Sam stand between Natasha a group of cops from another precinct. Maria was on the phone while yelling at one of the female cops to back away.

"Do you have a warrant?"

"Yeah, we have a warrant. Now I suggest you step out of our damn way." The man holding handcuffs said to Sam.

"What's going on here?" Steve said placing the food on his desk and quickly walking over to them.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with Rogers," Johann Schmidt hissed, he was the arresting officer at the other precinct. He hated Steve and Steve hated him. Schmidt doesn't follow the rules.

"If you're trying to arrest my partner then I think it involves me," He said. Schmidt looked down smirking before turning his attention back to Steve.

"You little partner over there is a killer. She's going to jail."

"Excuse me?" Steve said, he looked over at Natasha who looked scared, he had never seen that look on her face before. He got irritated quickly. "On what evidence?"

"Her name was written on the walls of the crime scene. Her DNA was found there too, do I need to continue?"

"Her name was on the walls? Do you think she's an idiot? Who the hell would write their own name on the damn walls of a crime scene! She a fucking cop for hell's sake, she isn't stupid."

"I don't know what was going on in her mind, why don't you ask her yourself. You can visit her down at our precinct where she will be locked up."

"You are making a mistake Schmidt," Steve said in a low dangerous voice. "Back off."

"Get out of my fucking face Rogers, this may be your precinct, but I have the warrant. So back off before you join her in that prison." Both men staring daggers at each other.

"Stand down Rogers." Nick's voice came from the door of the precinct.

"You can't be serious," Bucky said looking at Nick in disbelief.

"We have no right to withhold this. They have to take her in." Steve didn't move until Maria put her hand on his shoulder and whispered something that only he could hear.

"She knows what to do," She had said. They knew this was going to happen. That's why Nick benched her. That's why he had to leave, so they could work out future steps.

Reluctantly Steve moved slightly, as did the boys who were glaring daggers at Schmidt as he cuffed Natasha's wrist.

"Natasha Romanoff you are under arrest for murder in the first degree, you have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." Schmidt took Natasha out, her eyes remained focused on Steve as he stared at her in confusion, not understanding how they got to that point.

How is this even happening?

"Here." Maria handed him a small bag.

"What the hell am I supposed to do with this."

"It's Natasha's directions. She wants you to feed her little demon cat," She said.

"And what are you going to be doing?" He asked, rather annoyed. Why the hell was he on pet sitting duty when the woman he loved just got arrested.

"I am going get Natasha her freedom back."