13. Possibilities

Tvd reference coming up. Somebody please spot it😖

Tamara Coker was wearing one of her irking smiles that I had gotten used to. She was obviously glad to be let out of her room, something she expressed by hugging Charles for thirty seconds. An action that was dramatic and unnecessary from my point of view.

What I didn't get was why he let her hold him for that long. He came up with a senseless excuse of isolation being frightening for some people but I think he just liked the admiration the teenager clearly had for him.

"So you do know him." We had been going back and forth about her cousin for a while and she was being a little more difficult than she usually was.

"I know he exists." I sighed and she smiled.

"You look exhausted. Why didn't you just let detective Banky ask me these unnecessary questions?" She taunted and I snapped because she was too grown to be acting like such a child.

"They are very necessary, Tamara. A woman, your mother was murdered, coldly in the room next to yours and you are more concerned about gaining the attention of a cute detective."

She was quiet for a few seconds before a grin broke out on her face.

"You are jealous." The ridiculousness of that statement annoyed me but not as much as her indifference.

"No. What I am is baffled, at the complete lack of empathy a girl has for a woman that gave birth to her."

She rolled her eyes like I was boring her but caved.

"He's uncle Kolade's son, that's all mommy ever told me. I know he helped her at the shop but he didn't come here often, except maybe if she forgot something and he came to get it for her. He's always very serious with his round cut and Sokoto face, we don't talk." She smiled.

"Anything else?" She inquired.

"No. You can leave."

She walked out with a sashay, leaving me to wonder if she had turned off her humanity. Charles walked in a few minutes later and smiled once he saw the look on my face.

"That bad, huh?"

"I think she's the one who needs counseling."
I had told him about my fruitless trip to the doctor's office earlier in the day.

"They all do."

"How did it go with Sade?"

He took a seat and released a breath.

"She said he's the first son of their only uncle who is a trader at Sokoto. Their dad sponsored his education and their mom brought him to help her out since none of the girls were interested in the business."

"Mrs. Coker brought him?"

"I know Kay, your Anthony Joshua theory might be it, it's why I sent a photo of him to the girl at the hotel. Hopefully it checks out and we can close that chapter."

"You still don't think he might have killed her."

He leaned on the table.

"The woman has been dead for over a week but her accounts are still intact. All transactions made from the business account were business related, they checked out. If he killed her, my best guess will be that it was for the money, so why isn't he making any moves? He has had over a week to transfer the funds and disappear but he hasn't."

I thought for a while.

"He doesn't have any reason to run. The girls have no knowledge in business administration so he remains in charge. All he has to do is lay low till everything blows over."