12. Ethics and Etiquettes

I preferred Crunchies plus to the original eatery but the latter was closer to the Coker house so we went there for a late dinner.

After I told Charles about my little chat with Sade, I proceeded to talk to Tamara as well who was happy to indulge me since I told her she was allowed out of her room. Hypothetically, it was safe for us to assume that Mrs. Coker was already dead when Mfon got there, from her disposition and Tamara hadn't returned home yet.

This theory didn't give her a clear, she knew about the cameras, she could still have snuck in from the party to commit the crime, then return back but I needed everyone's cooperation, a little luxury seemed like a fair trade. She confirmed that Funmi had the most strained relationship with their mom.

We got our food and went upstairs because the ground floor was filled, the top floor wasn't empty but we managed to get seats near the large glass wall that showed us more of our reflection than the illuminated city outside.

    I let him savor the taste of his chicken for a few seconds before bringing up work.

"So, how did it go with Asuquo?" He nodded his head, moaning around his food and I rolled my eyes.

"Charles."

"Talking with food in your mouth is unethical, Kaima."

"Look at this bush man that eats eba from a bowl."
He dropped his fork.

"Do not come at me and my swallow." He looked like a kid guarding his collectibles.

"Yes I know, you are a traditional man, blah blah."
He gave me a blank look and I sighed.

"Just tell me what I need to know."

He clasped his hands together on the marble table.

"Okay. There is a guy running her shops at the moment, the financial manager. Name is Damola Coker."

"Coker?"

"Apparently, their dad was his uncle, saw him through school and brought him into the business afterwards."

"How old is this guy?"

"Mid twenties." He resumed eating.

"What does he look like?"

"Nothing like the girls, that's for sure." He scoffed, then looked at me with a raised brow.

"You don't_"

"He could be our Anthony Joshua."

"Come on, the guy was so uptight and polite, shy even."

"Superficial properties. It makes sense Charlie, a taboo relationship that couldn't happen at the Coker house or the boy's place, hence the continuous hotel bookings and because they share the same last name, they had to use a fake to avoid raised brows."

Charles did his thoughtful scrunch thing as he chewed, making his face a comical display of veins.

"That does make sense." He agreed.

"He made the payment to the counselor? Why?"

"He said it was among some of the transactions his boss had permitted before her demise. Things that he couldn't just call off to prevent losses. I take it Mrs. Coker wasn't aware that Funmi was skipping sessions either."

"Did you notice anything odd about the guy?"

"No but I still asked Asuquo to check him out. He has an alibi though, also being confirmed by Asuquo."

"Good." I said, finally picking up my fork.

"I'll see what the girls have to say about him too."

      We proceeded to eat in silence because Charles loved food that much he always gave it his undivided attention. He'd have his head bent the whole time, then smile up in contentment when he was done like he had just fulfilled his purpose of being on earth