6. First Foe

Tamara Coker looked bored and frustrated like she had been forced to watch the late night news with her parents. Her legs were on the table and in the spirit of cooperation, I let her have her comfort.

"The murder weapon was found in Sade's room." My statement was presumptuous because without the M.E's report, the case remained inconclusive.

"It's okay detective, I know you had expected to find it stuffed in my pillow."

"It's nice to see you still have your sense of humor."

"Give me back my phone and I promise to make it go away."

"You are not in the clear yet, Tamara."

Exasperation was written all over her.

"You found the murder weapon, that's usually case close."

"Why would Sade do it?"

"I have no freaking idea but it's not like she wouldn't have gained anything from it, she's our big sister aka next of kin."

Funmi had made the same point when I spoke to her a couple minutes before. The notion was plausible but I felt it was too easy, too straightforward. Sade wasn't dumb, why would she leave the weapon in the house? She had a lot of time to dispose of it.

"You really think Sade would kill your mom for your inheritance?"

"Honestly? I don't. Sister Sade can be tough but she isn't a murderer, she saves lives plus she never seemed interested in the wealth, she has this whole independent woman thing going."

Tamara had a way of setting me off but I appreciated her for her open-mouthed.

"Was there any friction between herself and your mom?"
She laughed.

"Those two were sisters, I don't think sis. Sade has any friends, she spends most of her time with mom except the few times she's with Theo."

My ears perked at the pronouncement of a new name.

"Theo?"

"Her fiancee."

"I didn't notice any ring."

"She flushed it down the toilet some months ago when they had a disagreement."

"It was that serious?"

She shrugged and leaned back on the chair.

"Uh huh, I think he cheated on her or something."

"But you called him her fiancee."

She hissed and shaped her mouth to resemble that of a parrot. Whatever she was about to say, I knew she didn't approve of it.

"Yes." She drawled. "She forgave his stinking ass. God knows I will never take that shit from any maga, dey no born am well."

The door opened and Charles walked in.

"Detective Banky, nice of you to join us." There was no trace of annoyance in her voice as she looked Charles over.

"Isn't it? But he's a little late to the party. Thank you Tamara, you may leave." She rolled her eyes but complied. Charles watched her until she pulled the door shut then turned to me.

"Isn't she lovely?"

"Pedophilia is a crime in Nigeria, Banky. She's eighteen."

"She's legal." My stare was deadpan.

He took the recently vacated seat.

"Sade has been isolated in her room with an officer stationed outside as per COD's orders."