𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

chapter four | stroll through the forest

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────

        The first day of classes were in full swing at Hogwarts and Stella Mason couldn't help but feel wary when sitting in her first class of the day—Defense Against the Dark Arts. The subject always seemed to have a peculiar teacher teaching it. All except Lupin, of course, he was the best teacher she ever had in that subject. The Mason took her seat next to Hermione, where the two girls talked about muggle things no one else would understand over all the talking and rowdiness of the classroom around them. Above them, a paper bird flew around the classroom, providing entertainment for the fifth years. However, all of a sudden, the paper bird erupted into flames and disappeared onto a desk that belonged to Parvati. The students looked behind them to see Professor Umbridge, wand in hand.

"Good morning, children," the woman head to toe in pink greeted, "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations," her wand writing the words on the chalkboard in front of the class as she spoke, "O-W-L. More commonly known as OWLs. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

The class didn't respond to her words. They knew about the upcoming exams at the end of the year, but the Professor seemed to make all of their nerves greater than before.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry approved course of defensive magic," Umbridge explained. From beside Stella, Hermione raised her hand, "yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

And the girl was right. The cover read Dark Arts Defense, Basic for Beginners. This was made for first years, not fifth years who were preparing for exams and the real world.

"Using spells," Umbridge scoffed, moving closer to the desk of the two girls, "well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?"

"You'll be learning about defense spells in a secure, risk free way," Umbridge answered Ron, ignoring his bitter tone.

"What use is that," Harry started, loudly, "if we're attacked, it won't be risk free."

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my classroom," the Mason observed right away that their new Professor already had it out for Harry, and she was worried about the outcome, "it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations. Which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?"

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself," Umbridge enquired in a sort of squeak.