Chapter 33

Sherwood Forest, Nottinghamshire

Allan was in a pensive mood, and he couldn't snap out of it. He was aware that it was out of character for him, at least in public, for he generally hid his more melancholy moments by cracking a sarcastic joke, or sleeping. But so many things had changed in the past week, and he felt different in a myriad of ways.
First of all, there had been Robert of Filey's disapproval of his relationship with Roana, and Allan's subsequent feelings of inadequacy. Then, the incident with Laney. Meeting his mother again. Discovering that he was related to a countess. His betrothal. Roana. Everything about Roana.
The night before, and first thing that morning, in bed in the old manor house by the river, had been a revelation for Allan. Roana, innocent and inexperienced, yet displaying an enthusiasm that blew his mind, had shown Allan things that he had never thought possible. Emotional things. She had opened up his heart, crawled inside, and set up permanent home in the broken mess within, and his weary, jaded heart had accepted her. He wanted to spend his whole life kissing her, loving her, making her happy. Sex was different when it was with someone you loved, he had discovered, much to his delight and wonder. He had always enjoyed the act, but the empty feeling he normally experienced afterwards was not evident when he was with Roana. He felt like she had changed something significant within him; that her love had healed something that had been broken for the longest of times.
And then Bridlington had come along and ruined the moment. Allan wanted to kill him. But, first of all, he wanted Roana safe and back by his side. Then he'd kill Bridlington.
As the gang hurried through the greenwood, heading for the old farmers track, he imagined all of the ways he could end Bridlington's life. Quick and painless was out of the question. Messy, violent, and bloody sounded much better. He still owed the guy for laying his hands on Roana when they broke Robin out of the dungeons the month before. He had attacked her and bruised her face quite badly - it was only because of the fortuitous arrival of Alice that he hadn't done more.
It made Allan furious to imagine what Bridlington had planned that day. Roana's innocence was a precious gift that she had given to Allan, but Bridlington had been intent on stealing it first. Luckily, he hadn't succeeded, but Allan knew that he would be sore about that, and out for revenge. He was worried for Roana's wellbeing, at the mercy of such a beast.
The sun was beaming in the cerulean blue sky, high above the canopy of branches that shaded the outlaws from its raw onslaught. Sunlight dappled the forest path before them, and a songbird trilled its heart out in the beech trees above them. Allan should have been calmed by the beauty of his surroundings, but he wasn't, and he wouldn't be until Roana was free.
Taking Roana's bow from over his shoulder, he grabbed an arrow and nocked it with determination as they approached the overgrown track.
Robin, overhearing the stretch of yew, turned to him with a warning hand outstretched, and then motioned for them all to get down.
There was indeed movement on the old farmers track. Craning his neck, Allan glimpsed two horseman, one dark and ramrod straight in the saddle, the other shorter, and blond-haired, glancing around the surrounding greenwood with interest.
"Gisborne and Carter," Robin said, grimly. "Will, check down there and make sure they're alone. Much, you check that way."
He began to edge closer to the track and Allan and John followed him. Djaq placed a warning hand on Eve's arm and the two women melted into the undergrowth, out of sight.
The horsemen had stopped on the track and Gisborne was looking in their direction, having met them on the track before, yet unsure of their presence.
"Well?" the man called Carter said, impatiently and a touch nervously.
Gisborne ignored him. "Hood?" he shouted. "Are you there? We need to talk."
There was a pause as the gang hunkered down, awaiting Will and Much's return. A wind blew up, scattering leaves onto the track, and Gisborne started, wheeling his black stallion and drawing his sword.
In the undergrowth, Robin grinned at his obvious discomfort. With confirmation from Will and Much that the two men were indeed alone, he looked at the gang.
"Alright, it's showtime. You lot cover me, okay?"
Moving further up the track, he left the cover of the forest and stepped onto the track, brushing himself down. Will, Allan, Much, and Little John emerged behind him, arrows nocked and aimed at the newcomers.
"You called?" Robin shouted, confidently, approaching them at a casual walk.
Gisborne and Carter, who had both been looking in the opposite direction, started again at the sight of the outlaw gang, who had appeared soundlessly, and as if from nowhere.
"Hood," Gisborne said, his deep voice imbued with displeasure and something else.
He's nervous, Allan guessed, clocking the black knight's obvious discomfort with grim satisfaction.
Gisborne cleared his throat. "We— we come in peace."
Robin stopped at a safe distance and laughed. "You come in peace? Did you hear that, lads? Gisborne has come in peace."
Much, Little John, and Will emitted jeering laughs; Allan moved closer to Robin, his bow stretched taut.
Gisborne rolled his eyes, then looked at Robin. "Hood. We need your help." He gave a grimace as he ground out the next words, making them sound like splintered glass in his mouth. "I... need your help."
Robin raised his eyebrows and looked delighted. "You need my help? Well, isn't this a turn-up for the books?" He turned his head to glance behind him. "Gisborne needs my help."
"In what way?" Much shouted, already filled with distrust.
Robin stared at Gisborne, his expression suddenly cold. "You heard him. In what way?"
"Locksley, have your men stand down." Carter, so far silent, urged his horse to step forward and stand level with Gisborne. "We mean you no harm, and only wish to talk."
"Carter," Robin said, his voice filled with false bonhomie. "You aren't going to try to kill me again? Why-ever not? If, as you say, I killed your brother..."
The outlaws moved restlessly behind Robin, eyeing the soldier, warily.
"I fear I misjudged the situation, and for that, I apologise." Carter inclined his head, respectfully. "I would like to talk with you, about Thomas. And Gisborne is truthful. We do need your help, if you would be so gracious as to hear us out. It will be in your best interests."
Robin eyed them, speculatively, stroking his bottom lip. Allan knew he was deliberately keeping them on tenterhooks, but he wished he would get a move on - Allan desperately wanted to question Gisborne about Roana's wellbeing.
Seemingly making his mind up, Robin lowered his hands to rest on his hips. "Dismount and lay down your weapons."
Gisborne and Carter exchanged glances, and then Carter obeyed. Gisborne flicked his eyes towards Robin and reluctantly followed suit. They unbuckled their weapon belts and lay them on the ground. Will and Much hurried forward to snatch them up.
"No hidden daggers?" Robin asked Gisborne, mildly.
With a deep sigh, the black knight reached inside his leather tunic and pulled forth the small, curved dagger that he habitually kept about his person, and which he had stabbed Marian with some months ago when she was disguised as the Nightwatchman.
Robin stepped forward and took it from him, squirrelling it away beneath his hooded tunic. He nodded, satisfied.
"Allan, John, take their horses." He looked from Carter to Gisborne. "Follow me."
Unsurprisingly, he lead them away from the camp and deep into the greenwood, until the trees became dense overhead, and their surroundings darkened in the absence of daylight. Then, he doubled back and circled around, just to confuse.
Eventually, they arrived at a clearing near to Clun, that the outlaws used for fight practice. There, Robin stopped and turned to face Gisborne and Carter.
"That was quite a tour you took us on there, Hood," Gisborne said, harshly.
Robin folded his arms and raised his eyebrows. "Do you want my help, Gisborne?"
Gisborne scowled and lowered his gaze, realising Robin had him over a barrel. He shrugged with a touch of insolence. "I think we both need each other's help. The Sheriff has your betrothed in the dungeons, after all, and your sister."
There was a rustle behind them as Allan stepped forward and passed Gisborne and Carter to stand beside Robin.
"Are they alright, Guy?"
Gisborne's eyes flashed to Allan and he softened very slightly. "They are unharmed, Allan. But I'm not sure how long that will be the case."
Robin looked thunderous. "What do you need from me, Gisborne?"
Gisborne took a deep breath, and his expression was pained. "As you may have noticed, Alice is also in the dungeons. I know that she is a friend of yours, and of Roana's. Alice and I have grown close over the past few months, and she is in the cells as," Gisborne faltered, and cleared his throat again, "as a bargaining tool. I resigned from my role as Master-at-Arms, and from the black knights. I no longer want any part of Prince John's treasonous plans." He looked Robin in the eye, resolutely. "But the Sheriff has decreed that Alice will remain a prisoner until I fulfil my role as a black knight and assassinate the king when he reaches Germany."
"When he reaches Germany?" Much repeated in puzzlement.
Robin stared at Gisborne, waiting for his reply.
"The war is over," Gisborne confirmed. "King Richard and Saladin have come to an agreement, and Lionheart and his troops left Palestine some weeks ago, on their way back to England."
The outlaws erupted into whoops of exultation and excited chatter. It was over. Once the king reached England, they would all be pardoned, and Robin would take back his lands and his titles. The gang would be able to leave the forest and live as freemen and women, at long last.
Much and Little John clasped hands in celebration, before Much pulled Eve into a hug. Will grabbed Djaq by the waist and swung her round before they kissed, firmly and happily.
Robin and Allan remained in place, watching Gisborne.
"But the plan is," Gisborne continued, gravely. "For him to never reach the shores. And that is where I and the black knights come in."
The outlaws quietened as Gisborne's words sank in and they exchanged worried glances with each other.
"So, basically," Allan clarified. "What you're saying is, either you fulfil your obligations, or Alice gets it in the neck?"
Gisborne nodded. "She will almost certainly hang for attempting to free Marian and Edward."
"So, literally in the neck, then," Much muttered. Everyone swung round to glare at him. "What? Sorry! It's the truth though."
"Much, shut up," Djaq said, fiercely, cutting her eyes to Gisborne, who looked suddenly distraught.
"And where do I come in?" Robin said, coolly.
Gisborne shrugged, wearily. "I suppose I'm asking you to help me get out of this. I know that you owe me nothing, but think of Alice. More importantly, think of the king. And of Marian and Roana, for whatever the Sheriff plans for Alice will almost certainly happen to them, too."
Everybody looked to Robin, who had a thoughtful expression on his face. He tapped a forefinger against his chin before pointing it at Gisborne.
"You want to free Alice. We want to free Marian and Roana. It's really that simple. We get them out and then you're free to leave the castle. Right?"
Gisborne nodded. "I'll be outlawed, but I suppose it's better than committing treason."
Robin looked determined. "Okay. I have a plan."

Nottingham Castle, Nottinghamshire

The heavy, oak doors to the dungeons opened with a crash and the Sheriff entered purposefully, flanked by Bridlington, Auden, and a group of guards.
The jailer, who had been sat on an upturned pail, napping, came to with a start and leapt to his feet, alarmed to see such a dynamic convoy.
"My l—lord," he stammered. "I wasn't expecting you.."
The Sheriff swept by him, unyieldingly. "Yes, well, I'm here now. Bring your keys, jailer. We've come to remove the prisoners."
Hearing him, Roana and Marian exchanged glances through the bars that separated their cells and both stood. Alice, who had been asleep on the thin mattress, sat up, quickly, fear written all over her face.
The Sheriff appeared in the corridor outside their cells, his face a rictus grin of evil delight.
"Ah. Marian. Roana. And Alice." He bowed at them each, mockingly, in turn. "I trust you've enjoyed your stay."
"It's been a delight so far," Roana replied, deadpan, looking past him at the cluster of bodies at his back. Her heart was suddenly fearful. "What do you have planned for us?"
"Clever girl, aren't you?" Vaisey said, dismissively. "I've decided to move you. After all, we don't want any more mishaps, do we?" He glared at the jailer, who had the grace to look ashamed for Edward's escape.
"Moving us where?" Marian said, fervently.
The Sheriff turned to her and gave a humourless smile. "You'll find out when you get there, won't you, missy? Guards! Put them in shackles and bring them out to the meat cart."
Alice scrambled to her feet as the jailer began to unlock the door to the cell. She ran to the door.
"Where's Guy?" she cried to Vaisey's retreating back, and he paused, turning back to look at her, his face in shadow with only the dull glitter of his malevolent glare evident.
"Don't you worry about Gisborne anymore. You're unlikely to see him again, my dear. He'll be far too busy pledging his allegiance to King John."