Chapter 10

Filey Manor, Filey, East Riding of Yorkshire

Roana was crushed. She had assumed that, when her uncle had shown signs of mellowing towards the outlaws, it would include his acceptance of her relationship with Allan, but that didn't appear to be the case. She had not realised how stubborn he could be, but his comments indicated that he would not be welcoming Allan into the family any time soon. It was infuriating. The very fact that women were treated as second-class citizens, as if they didn't know their own minds, had always frustrated her, and, growing up, she had assumed that Robert sympathised and understood. He had allowed her to turn away suitor after suitor over the years, content to allow her to follow her heart and make her own decisions. Yet now, when she had met someone she truly loved and wanted to be with, he had become stern and uncompromising.
She knew that they needed to have a conversation, preferably alone, so she could explain her feelings as succinctly as possible and hopefully bring him around to her way of thinking. But, until then, she had to clear her head.
She felt like crying. In Nottingham, her relationship with Allan had been so easy, and had filled her with such joy. But now, back in Filey, her mind was clouded with doubts and confusion. She loved Allan; there was no question about that. She wouldn't give him up, but she didn't want to lose her family in the process. And Robert was making things very difficult for her.
Falling behind as Robin steered Robert towards the gang, she picked up her skirts and, giving Allan an apologetic smile, hurried in the opposite direction, making her way to the stables. She hadn't visited her horse, Pilgrim, since their return the previous day, and was curious to learn how she had fared in Roana's absence. Pilgrim had been with her for the past ten years, ever since Roana had helped to hand-rear her after her dam had died in childbirth. The mare had been her closest companion, providing comfort and a non-judgemental ear to her woes over the years, and it seemed only natural to enter the horse barn, her heart heavy, and head for Pilgrim's stall.
Roana called her name and there came a delighted whicker and the rustle of straw before Pilgrim's bay head appeared over the half-door, the white stripe bright in the gloom of the barn as she looked in Roana's direction. Roana felt a little of the tension leave her shoulders at the enthusiastic greeting. The love of an animal for a person was always heartwarming to witness, especially for the person on the receiving end.
Reaching the stall, Roana cupped the mare's muzzle in her hands and planted a kiss on the soft velvet of her nose. Pilgrim lipped at her palms and, finding no treats, nudged Roana, leaving a streak of chewed hay on the blue of the dress.
"Oops! My uncle will not be pleased." Roana gave a dry laugh as she looked down at herself, but it turned into a sob and, suddenly, tears spilled from her eyes. She put her arms around Pilgrim's neck and buried her face in the mare's black mane, allowing herself a moment to cry quietly, while Pilgrim stood, patiently, chewing on her mouthful of hay.
"Ro?" Allan arrived so silently that she didn't hear him until he was stood behind her, a hand outstretched, awkwardly unsure of what to do.
"Oh!" Roana straightened and quickly wiped her cheeks with her fingers, drying them on her skirt before she turned to him, aware that tears made most men uncomfortable. Aware that tears made her uncomfortable.
She smiled, wanly, avoiding his eyes. "I just needed a moment."
"There are no moments that don't involve the two of us," Allan said, and gathered her into his arms, stroking her cascade of nut-brown hair as she lay her head on his shoulder.
Roana sighed, deeply, and wrapped her arms around his waist. When she spoke, her voice was low and filled with emotion. "That was surprisingly poetic, A Dale."
Allan laughed. "I know. I was quite proud of it too."
They lapsed into silence for a moment, embracing tightly, before Pilgrim grew bored and nudged Allan sharply in the small of his back, jerking them both, roughly.
"Ouch," he said, wryly. "I don't think your horse likes me."
Roana laughed, despite herself, and raised her head to look at him. "She does. She just has a strange way of showing it."
Allan raised his eyebrows and grinned. "Oh, really? Story of my life."
"Not anymore," Roana said, pertly, and kissed him, firmly.
"Not anymore," he agreed, and kissed her back, gently, cupping her cheek in one hand and stroking her jawline with his thumb.
Pulling away slightly so he could look into her eyes, he paused before posing his question. "What are we going to do, Ro?"
She answered from the heart, knowing exactly what he was referring to, and knowing exactly what she wanted. "We will help save the house and the farm, and then we will leave. Together."
Allan regarded her for a moment, finding the sincerity in her gaze, and kissed her again, soundly, before lifting her up and spinning her around in joy. Roana laughed, tears forgotten as she clung onto him. Over his shoulder, through the rear door of the barn and out across the fields, her attention was caught by a flash of colour, the gleam of metal catching the sun, and she was suddenly alert.
"Allan, there's somebody out there."
Startled, Allan set her down and swung around, hand on the hilt of his sword. Roana moved to stand beside him, pointing.
"Look. Riders, passing through the fields."
"Bridlington," Allan growled. "We need to find Robin."