Chapter 2: "Secrets"

"Come on! The steam should keep 'em busy!" Darius said, however, as he said that, the steam disappeared, and revealed that there were now four raptors instead of one. "Oh, crud!" Darius said, their situation not looking good until suddenly, (Y/n) shouted, "Hey!" from the railing. She jumped down in between the Raptor pack, and the two boys. She held on hand out to maintain a distance between her and the Raptor, while in the other, the held a clicker.
      "Everybody back. Up." She said, clicking the clicker a little, not taking her eyes off the Raptors. One of the Raptors snarled at her, and (Y/n) turned her stern gaze to her. "Hey! Charlie! I didn't ask for your back talk. Get. Back!" She said. Kenji and Darius watched the teen in front of them hold the Raptors at bay. 
      "She's awesome...."Kenji muttered, in amazement, admiration, and fear.
      "Kenji... check for  a Raptor skull...." Darius said, slowing walking through some bones. "What?!" Kenji replied. "In the video game I-" "You wanna talk about video games now?!" Kenji said, cutting him off. However, another Raptor tried to snap at the group, causing Kenji and Darius to snap back to reality, and look at the dinosaurs in fear. 
      "Delta! What did I just say?!" (Y/n) said, pointing to the Raptor, getting her attention. The girl and Raptors maintained eye contact. Neither of them backing down. Suddenly, (Y/n) held her hands up and put the clicker away. She slowly walked over to the middle Raptor. "Blue." She said, calmly. "Hey girl, you know me." She continued, holding a hand out to the Raptor. The two slowly advanced towards each other. Blue chattered at (Y/n), and the girl nodded. "Yeah. I won't hurt you." She said, as Blue then began to nuzzle  her hand. This made (Y/n) smile. "I knew it was possible...." She muttered. Just then, all the lights turned on, startling the Raptors and the humans.
      "HEY! COME AND GET IT!" Roxie yelled, throwing some meat into the enclosure. Delta, Charlie, and Echo all ran towards the meat, but Blue only turned her attention from Roxie back to (Y/n). As the two maintained eye contact, The gate opened, and both Kenji and Darius were pulled out of the enclosure by Dave. "(Y/n)! Get out of there! Hurry!" Roxie called, making (Y/n) turn her attention to Roxie for a short amount of time. She looked back at Blue, slowly backing away, before turning around and bolting for the closing gate. The gate was to low for her to just run under, so she fell and rolled under it. Just barely escaping the jaws of Blue. Gasping for air, she looked at the dino she had just escaped, as Darius, Kenji, and Dave all rushed towards her.
      "(Y/n)! That was amazing! How did you do that?!" Darius asked, as Kenji pulled (Y/n) to her feet. 
      "Oh, that's just standard procedure, Darius. She does that kind of stuff all the time." Dave said, answering for her quiet shaken up. "Excuse me." He said, before leaning over to throw up. "That's better...." He muttered. (Y/n) let out a sigh of relief, before noticing that she and Kenji were holding hands. Pulling her hand away, she watched as Roxie ran up to them. 
      "Are you guys okay? Are you hurt?" She asked, checking them. Kenji tried to sneak away, but was unsuccessful. "Woah, woah, woah! Where do you think you're going?! You three are in big trouble!" Roxie said.
      "What?! But he-" "Save it. We'll decide what to do with you later. If you even get to remain here after a stunt like this." She said, cutting Darius off, before the group returned to camp.
------------------------------------------------------
      When the group returned to the camp, Dave and Roxie made Kenji, Darius, and (Y/n) sit in the lobby, while they took Brookylnn into a different room. While they were waiting, Kenji and Darius sat on the sofa, while (Y/n) sat in a rollie chair. The only sound in the room came from Kenji, who was making popping noises with his mouth. At first it was fine, but then it got annoying. 
     "How could you do something so stupid?!" Darius asked, clearly upset. 
      "I do a lot of stupid things, so you're going to have to be more specific than that." Kenji replied.
      "Honestly, I'm not surprised." (Y/n) commented. Kenji then sat up. "Girls love a grand gesture, Junior. You'll understand when you're older." He said. "That wasn't a grand gesture. That was just plain stupid! Blue and the other Raptors may be trained, but they will also kill anything on sight. She could have killed you Kenji." (Y/n) said, making the teen smirk at her. "What?" She asked, confused. "I knew you cared." He said. This made (Y/n)scoff and roll her eyes. She turned away from Kenji, mainly to hide the small blush that was growing on her face. "Okay, maybe it wasn't my best idea. Look, I don't want to get kicked out  either. When my Dad...." Kenji cut himself off, making both (Y/n) and Darius look at him, curious as to what he was going to say.
      "My whole life, I've been trying to make him round. If he finds out I messed up again, he might, finally give up on me for good." Kenji continued, making both Darius and (Y/n) give him a look of pity. (Y/n) turned around to say something, but was unable to because Dave and Roxie entered the room.
      "We gave Brooklyn a warning for sneaking out, but what you three chuckleheads did!" Dave started, as he and Roxie approached them. "Especially you Kenji. Your recklessness put yours, Darius', Dave's, and (Y/n)'s lives in danger. You're luck (Y/n) has experience with those Raptors and was able to hold them off until we got there. However, (Y/n), you were specifically told not to go to the Raptor enclosure, so you are not excused. We should call your parents, as well as (Y/n)'s brother, and have you all-" Darius stopped Roxie. "I-it was my fault!" He said, making everyone look at him.
      "I jumped into the pit. Kenji and (Y/n) were trying to save me." He continued.  "Yeah. That's what happened. We were saving this poor, confused kid." Kenji said, putting his arms around (Y/n)'s and Darius' shoulders. "It is?" (Y/n) asked, confused as to what was going on. "Hang on, the part about (Y/n) I believe, but, Darius the dino-genius was saved by Kenji, the guy who thinks dinosaurs went extinct because, and i quote, ' their farts turned the air trashy'." Roxie repeated, clearly not buying their story. "Prove me wrong, yo." Kenji whispered to (Y/n), making her sigh and rub her eyebrows in frustration. "Yeah, it's just that Brooklynn's account is quite different from yours." Roxie stated, crossing her eyes. Kenji went to talk again, but (Y/n) slapped her hand over his mouth.
      "Look, Roxie, I'm sorry we didn't follow the rules, but please don't kick us out of camp yet. Give us whatever punishment you think is suitable. I'll even keep an eye on these two to help assure you that they won't get into anymore trouble. I promise." (Y/n) said, making Roxie think for a minute. Finally, Dave stepped in. "Look, no harm, no foul. Let's chalk the whole thing up to experience. Lessons, friendships-this is what camp's about! Who's with me?" He said, trying to lighten the mood.
      "Fine. But one more misstep...." Roxie said, signifying that the three knew what would happed. "I-we won't let you down." (Y/n) said, taking her hand off of Kenji's mouth and wrapping her arm around his shoulder. The boy only smirked and popped his mouth again, making the girl groan and remove her arm. Roxie gave them all a stern stare. "So, what are we doing tomorrow?" Darius asked. When morning came, the group all went out side and stood next to a giant dung pile. Roxie tossed Kenji, Darius, and (Y/n) some shovels. "Enjoy cleaning this up guys. We're going the the genetics lab." Roxie said, leading the group to the jeep. Before leaving, Dave tossed Darius some cologne, stating that the stench of dinosaur poo could really linger. With that the group drove off. 
      "I mean, he's not wrong." (Y/n) said. She heard Kenji groan and looked behind her to see him smacking some poo off of his shoe. "I don't think that's necessary, pretty boy. We are going to be here for a while, so you might as well get used to it." She stated before she began to shovel poop into garbage bins.  She had shoveled a little bit, when she noticed that Kenji was staring at her with a smirk. "What?" She asked.
      "Even shoveling dino dung you look really cute." He said flirtatiously. (Y/n) only rolled her eyes and continued to shovel poo. "I can't believe I'm out here shoveling poo instead of watching a live dinosaur birth. That's only been my dream since, oh I don't know, forever!" Darius said, joining (Y/n). "Dude, that is not a dream. A dream is like, when you save a bunch of mermaids from a shark." Kenji replied, leaning on his shovel.
      "Whatever! Figures you wouldn't understand. Those scientists are heroes. They recreated the T. rex. A T. rex! Do you know what it takes to do that?!" Darius replied, letting out all his frustration. Kenji rolled his eyes. "It's cute you're this excited about some dumb lab. Noobs like you don't know have of what's in this place." Kenji said, which got both Darius' and (Y/n)'s attention. "What do you mean by that?" (Y/n) said, as she stopped shoveling poo. Darius only shook his head.
      "You're all talk." He scoffed. "I've been to this park, like, 50 kajillion times. I'm in the know babe." Kenji said, winking at (Y/n), before turning his attention to Darius. "And since you helped me out earlier, I might be willing to show you the good stuff." He continued. Darius thought for a minute, but then shook his head. "No. No way. I cannot get into more trouble." He replied, slightly shocking Kenji. "Eh. Hey, suit yourself. You've only been waiting a lifetime to see dinosaurs. I just thought you'd be interested in seeing one they stopped showing to the public. But... whatevs. It's only a once in a lifetime opportunity." Kenji said. Darius, once again, thought about it for a minute. "Fine. But just as long as you're sure we won't get caught." He said, making Kenji smirk.
      "How about you babe? You in?" Kenji asked (Y/n). The girl rolled her eyes and smirked. "A chance to ditch this lame chore? Count me in." She replied. "All right then. Follow me." Kenji told them, sneaking an arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders, only for it to be smacked off. The trio walked over to a rock, before Kenji stopped. He lifted the rock to reveal that it was, in fact, a tunnel. "So, where does this tunnel lead to?" (Y/n) asked, looking down the dark abyss.
      "This tu-hu-nel is part of an underground network connecting the whole island. This is how the big dogs get around." Kenji said, descending the ladder. "You're actually looking at a Jurassic World V.I.P., kid." He said, Sliding down the ladder. Darius and (Y/n) glanced at each other, before (Y/n) shrugged and went down the ladder, Darius following shortly after. Once the two were all the way down, the entrance to the tunnel closed, and it was pitch black. "Kenji?" Darius asked, slightly concerned. Suddenly, the lights all switched on, and revealed Kenji leaning against a wall, arms crossed and a smirk painted on his face. "You still bummed about that genetics lab?" He asked.
      "Eh, you've seen one dino birth you've seen them all. I'm more interested in where this leads." (Y/n) said, grabbing Kenji and Darius' hands and heading down the tunnel. "Wait, so you live on the island, and yet you haven't seen any of it?" Darius asked her. (Y/n) sighed and let go of both boys' hands. "My brother is very protective of me. He wouldn't let me go anywhere except the Raptor pit. The only reason I'm here now is because he got called off by Ms. Dearing and
Mr. Masrani to look at some new dinosaur they've created. He didn't want me to get in harms way." She answered, looking down. Kenji gave her a look of empathy.
      "Well, I'm glad he is over protective. If he wasn't you wouldn't have come here, and we wouldn't have met." He said, wrapping an arm around her, making her give him a 'really?' look. "I'm telling you. Meant to be." He continued. "Yeah, keep telling yourself that, pretty boy." (Y/n) said as they continued to walk. However, Kenji noticed that this time (Y/n) didn't bother to remove his arm from her shoulders. After a few minutes of walking, Darius spoke up.
      "For real though, where are you taking us?" He asked. "Are we seeing a secret T. rex, or a rare sauropod?" He questioned. "Kid, Kenji has something better than a rare sauropod. We're heading to where they quarantine all the dinos that are too aggro. The last one I saw here was some kind of carna... carna-something." Kenji replied as he lead the two to another ladder. This made both (Y/n) and Darius gasp. "Hold up. Carnotaurus?!" Darius asked.
      "You're taking us to see a Carnotaurus?!" (Y/n) asked, looking at Kenji. Her eyes were beaming with excitement. "That's like, one of my top five favorite dinos!" Darius commented. "Sweet, right? The park board actually offered to name it after me, but I was like, 'Nah, I'll hold out for something cooler.' But I figured you guys would like it, you know, as a thanks. Which is what this is for, uh, you know, not being a narc when--" (Y/n) cut off Kenji's rabbling with her excitement. "So you're telling us that there is an actual Carnotaurus, like, right above us?!" She asked, holding Kenji's arm. "Obviously. Like my boy Masrani always says, 'When Kenji promises, Kenji delivers.'" Kenji replied, pushing a button. Nothing happened, and Kenji pressed a few more buttons, before the entrance above them opened. Kenji let out a sigh of relief, before turning to the others. "Let's go melt your nerd-brain, junior." He said to Darius, while helping (Y/n) up the ladder. When they all got out of the tunnel, Kenji looked around at their surroundings. "Uh, you do know where you're going, right?" Darius questioned. "Trust me, I got this on lock. The pen, heh, is... that way." Kenji replied, sounding unsure and heading in the direction that he pointed.
      Darius and (Y/n) looked at each other and sighed. "What are we doing?" Darius asked, shaking his head, slightly. "I don't know, but it's too late to turn back now." (Y/n) said, as the entrance to the tunnel closed. The two friends then followed after Kenji. After a couple of minutes of walking, Kenji decided to try small talk with (Y/n). "So, you really think there is no way you and I could happen?" He asked with a smirk. "I know there is no way we could happen." (Y/n) replied. This made Kenji chuckle. "Oh really? Give me three reasons why." He challenged. "You're cocky, you're arrogant, you're too self-centered, you're only looking out for yourself, and there is no way you aren't a play boy." (Was (Y/n)'s response. "I said three reasons!" Kenji retorted, making (Y/n) and Darius laugh. "I'll give you this, you know how to have a good time, you know how to make me laugh, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't find you some-what attractive." (Y/n) added, a small smile on her face. That comment made Kenji look at (Y/n) in shock. However, this made Kenji walk into a swarm of bugs. He tripped and fell as he tried to swat the bugs away. "Ugh, where is that stupid fence?!" He groaned in frustration, standing up.
      "Hey, Kenji, maybe we should head back. We don't want to get caught and cause more trouble with your dad." Darius commented. "What does my dad have anything to do with this? The dude's barely ever around. He isn't worried about me!" Kenji replied, annoyed. This made (Y/n) and Darius stop walking. "What?!" The said, both in shock and anger. "Then what was all that, 'My whole life I've been trying to make him proud, junior.'?" Darius asked. "Oh, that. I was lying. 'cause of the whole not wanting to get sent home, thing." Kenji said, slightly nervous, as he turned around, only to see the glares Darius and (Y/n) were giving him. "Look, forgive me for not wanting to spend another summer alone, okay? In fact, when you think about it, this is on you two for being so gullible." Kenji said.
      "I can't believe this. Let me guess, you also lied about the Carnotaurus just to get out of that punishment. There isn't even a Carnotaurus out here is there?" (Y/n) questioned, crossing her arms. "Hey! I keep it honest! Except this morning... and like a couple other times today, but I'm telling the truth about this!" Kenji answered. This set Darius off. "Great! We're out here for no reason, (Y/n) and I will probably get sent home, and it's all because we believed you!" He yelled, but didn't phase Kenji. "Fine. Whatever! Last time I try to do something nice for a dumb kid.(Y/n)? You still in?" He replied. (Y/n) looked between Darius and Kenji, before spotting a fence beyond a few trees. "Guys, wait! I think I see the fence!" She said, pointing in that direction. The trio pushed through the shrubs, and saw that she was right. Just past some tall grass, was the fence that they were looking for.
      "Kenji delivers." Kenji said, as they walked up to the fence. The trio looked through the fence excitedly, before Darius noticed something odd. The light was on the other side of the fence. "You know this park like the back of your hand, right?" He asked, slightly concerned. "Uh, duh." Was Kenji's response. "So, you definitely know which side of the fence the Carnotaurus is on?" Darius continued, his question raising fear in both Kenji and (Y/n). It was at this moment that the trio noticed that the fence wrapped around their area, not away from. As if on cue, giant footsteps could be heard from behind them. The heard growling, and gasped, looking behind them to see the Carnotaurus herself. It snarled at them, causing the teens to whimper in fear. 
      "Guys...on the count of three...we run...." (Y/n) said, her eyes full of fear and locked onto the Carnotaurus. "1...2...3!" She said, pulling Kenji up as she, Kenji, and Darius all began to run. Darius and (Y/n) ducked behind a fallen tree, while Kenji slipped and fell. "Don't leave me, man!" He cried out in fear. (Y/n) ran to him and pulled him up, before they al started running again. "Dudes! It's gaining!" Kenji yelled as they ran. "It's fast, but not on turns!" (Y/n) said, from slightly ahead of the boys. "That's right! Zig-zag! on my count! One, two, three!" Darius said, the group making a sharp turn, and the Carnotaurus falling as she missed a snap at them. The group noticed a fence with a feeding opening ahead. "Up ahead!" (Y/n) yelled, rushing to the opening and opening it for them. "Go, go, go, go!" She said to Kenji and Darius as they passed her through the opening. She then began to climb through the opening, but it had closed on her and got jammed.
      "Oh no!" She said, trying to open it. Kenji ran to the gate and tried pulling it from his side, but it wouldn't move. (Y/n) looked behind her to see that the Carnotaurus was getting closer. "Kenji!" She cried, turning back to see that only Darius was there. "Are you kidding me, Kenji?!" Darius yelled, trying to help (Y/n). Just then, Kenji came back with a branch and used it to open the gate, (Y/n) slipping out just as the Carnotaurus crashed into the feeding opening. (Y/n) and Kenji clung to each other as they watched the Carnotaurus roar at them, having received an injury to her nose. Kenji stood up and let out an excited laugh and grunt. "Diddums da big dino hurt his widdle nose? You think you're slick, Toro? You got nothin'!" He taunted. Still on the ground, (Y/n) held a hand on her heart and she panted, watching Darius and Kenji mock the dinosaur. Suddenly, Toro roared and rammed her head against the fence, causing them all to back up and scream in fear.
      Kenji and (Y/n) resumed clinging to each other, staring at the dino in fear. "Uh, what time were they supposed to get back from the lab?" Darius asked. Upon hearing that question, the three ran back to the poo pile. Just as they arrived, the others arrived in the jeep to check up on them. "Hey...guys...what's up?" Darius asked, short of breath. "Why are you two so out of breath?" Roxie asked Kenji and Darius, suspiciously. "Just doing the job we're told." (Y/n) replied normally. She wasn't out of breath, unlike the boys. Thanks to her training with the Raptors, she had very high speed and stamina. "How was the lab?" She asked the group. "Oh, uh, well, Ben fell in love with a dinosaur and Superstar here got us booted from the lab." Yasmina replied. "That is not what happened!" Brooklynn said, in an attempt to defend herself. "How was poo duty?" Sammy asked, as Kenji and Darius stood next to (Y/n). "Awesome! You should have seen how I-" Kenji started, causing both Darius and (Y/n) to panic. Thinking fast, (Y/n) pulled his arm down and quickly gave the boy a quick peck on the cheek, which caused him to freeze up from shock. "This valuable opportunity helped us learn a lot about each other!" Darius said, saving the three's butts from Roxie's wrath. Roxie's suspicion was gone once she got a sniff of how badly the three smelled. "Alright, well, hit the showers. And maybe stay in there for a while?" She said, driving the group away. "Two near death experiences in two days? We can't tell anyone about Toro, or we are definitely getting sent home." Darius said to Kenji and (Y/n). 
      "Fine. I just can't believe no one will know I saved your life." Kenji said to (Y/n), who gave a small smile. "We'll know Kenji." She said, giving him a hug. "Uh, cool. So, we even now?" He asked. "Yeah, we're even." Darius responded, as they began to walk towards the camp. "So, you like me?" Kenji asked (Y/n), who blushed. "What gave you that idea?!" She asked. "You kissed me." Kenji answered her. "It was on the cheek! And i only did it to shut you up before you got us in more trouble!" (Y/n) said, defending herself. "You sure? Because it looked like you enjoyed-" "Alright, we're done here. I hear the showers calling me!" (Y/n) replied, running to the camp, leaving the boys to converse with themselves.