Chapter 8: "End of the Line"

Darius struggled to hold Ben. He was slipping from his hand, and if Darius didn't act fast, he would fall. Ben's hand slipped from Darius' hand, and Ben began to fall, but Darius quickly grabbed onto his wrist with both hands, stopping him from falling. Ben looked up at Darius with a fearful expression. "Darius! Darius please!" Ben begged, desperate to be pulled up. However, this didn't happen. Ben slipped from Darius's grasp once again, and this time, he actually fell. "Ben!" Darius yelled, as he watched the boy fall. The group all watched in shock and dread as two Pteranodons went after him. Kenji fell to his knees, as Bumpy approached the edge and groaned for her friend for come back, but it wasn't going to happen.
      "They're gone... they're both... gone....." Yasmina muttered, making Sammy shake her head in disbelief. "I won't believe it!" She yelled, trying to run to the broken window, but Yasmina held her back. "Sammy." She said, looking at the crying girl. "No!" Sammy yelled, hiding her face as she sobbed. Kenji stared out the broken window, with a broken look. "Ben... (Y/n)... I... yelled at (Y/n).... I told her I hoped her Raptors were dead. I made her upset!... now she's gone...." He said, holding Bumpy close to him. Darius looked at his hand. The one that he tried to hold onto Ben with. He closed it into a fist, before realizing something. He looked out the window and gasped. "We're going back...." He muttered. "The Monorail's going back!" He yelled. "What do you mean 'going back'?" Brooklynn asked.
      "When we switched the tracks, we ended up on one heading North. We're not going to the South docks, we're going away from them!" Darius yelled, trying to stop the Monorail via the control panel, but nothing worked. "Ugh! Doesn't anything here work?!" He yelled, slamming his fist on the panel. "We've gotta get off this monorail, now!" He told the others. Brooklynn crawled to the window, and looked ahead. "Oh! T-the track dips down up ahead! We can jump there!" She said, looking at the others, whose reactions weren't so positive.
"What?"
"Jump?!"
"We can't! It's too far to jump!"
      "It's the only way!" Darius said, rushing over to them. He looked down and took a deep breath. "One.... Two.... Three!" He said, and they jumped off the Monorail, screaming as they fell. Each of them hit the ground, and rolled until they all hit a tree. Darius, fighting the slight pain he felt, looked around at the others. "Is everyone alright?" He asked, as the others began to stand. "Ish. Are you?" Brooklynn asked, looking at him. "Bumpy? Where's Bumpy?" Kenji asked, looking around. "I lost her when I hit the ground. She's gotta be here. Bumpy? Bumpy!" Kenji said, being a little too loud. Brooklynn rushed over to him and shushed him. "There are still dinosaurs out here including Toro and-" Bumpy?!" Kenji called out again, cutting Brooklynn off.
"We gotta look for her don't we? A-and Ben, (Y/n), they might still be--" Yasmina cut Sammy off. "How? We don't even know where they are!" She yelled. Then, just faintly, hey heard the auto voice from earlier. "Attention! All park goers must report to the South Ferry Docks for immediate evacuation. Last Ferry departs in 60 minutes." It said.
"No chance we can get there in an hour! It's way too far!"
"Not if we leave right now!"
"But Bumpy, Ben, and (Y/n)...!"
"We can't go back for Ben, and (Y/n) is... dead."
      Brooklynn's words made everyone give off the same sad expression. "There's just not enough time to look for...." Darius trailed off. "We can make it to the Ferry, but only if we go now." He continued, trying to hide his sadness. The group was silent as the auto voice reminded them that they only had an hour. Darius sighed. "We have to go!" He said, running south of the island. Slowly, the others followed.
      Blue jumped down from her ledge in-between (Y/n) and the Pteranodon. She roared at the winged dinosaur, before looking at (Y/n), who had managed to slowly stand up. (Y/n) and Blue made eye contact. Their respect for each other was still there, and still strong. Their eye contact was broken when the Pteranodon roared at them, making Blue turn her attention back to it.  (Y/n) stared at the Pteranodon for a few seconds, before whistling. That made Blue snarl at it and charge. The Pteranodon roared at Blue, but was quickly defeated. It was only able to take a few hits and bites from Blue, before it retreated. Blue roared at the retreating dinosaur, before turning to look at (Y/n). (Y/n) slowly held her hand out for Blue, keeping eye contact as Blue slowly approached her. Blue rested her snout in (Y/n)'s hand, making (Y/n) let out a relieved smile and laugh. "Hey girl." She said, petting Blue's head. "Long time no see?" Blue chatted at her, nudging (Y/n)'s side, as if to ask why she was away for so long. "I've been busy keeping six other kids alive. Our camp got eaten by a dinosaur." (Y/n) explained, making Blue tilt her head. (Y/n) sighed.
      "I have to find them. They're on a monorail heading to the South Ferry Docks. Do you think we can make it?" She asked, looking around. Blue screeched and shook her head, making (Y/n) sigh again. "Well, maybe we can at least catch up with the others?" She asked, making Blue shake her head again. This time (Y/n) groaned in frustration. "Ugh, you come up with something then!" She yelled, plopping down on a near by fallen tree. Blue tilted her head at the girl, approaching her to nudge her head. (Y/n) looked at the ground sadly, as she pet Blue's head. She sighed and looked up with closed eyes, before an idea hit her. "Wait a sec... I got it!" She said, standing up suddenly, surprising Blue. "Do you remember the night that I and two boys were in yours and the others' pen?" She asked, making Blue growl in agreement. "Do you still remember the boy in blue's scent?" She asked. Blue sniffed the air, before sniffing the ground and walking a few feet away. She then roared and looked at (Y/n), saying that she had picked up the scent. "Thank you Kenji...." (Y/n) muttered, following Blue.
      The group was still running for the docks, unaware that Yasmina was falling behind. Brooklynn and Sammy stopped when they heard Yasmina let out a cry of pain, and turned around to see her fall. "Yaz!" Sammy cried out, rushing to help her. "Guys!" Brooklynn said, making Darius and Kenji stop running and turn around to see what was going on. "Are you al-" "I'm fine." Yasmina pulled herself away from Sammy and took Brooklynn's hand, who had run over to help Yasmina. Yasmina grunted and held her ankle. "How are you even walking?" Brooklynn asked in concern. "I'm highly motivated." Yasmina answered, standing up with Brooklynn's help. "I got this." She said, trying to take a step, only to scream in pain and fall over again. "She can't keep up like this!" Sammy stated. "What do we do?" She turned to Darius, who had a very concerned look. "We can't stop, so... we'll make a stretcher maybe? or maybe there's a short cut, or..." He gasped. "The tunnels! Kenji!" He said, turning to Kenji, who had a defeated look on his face. Darius started shaking him. "Kenji! The maintenance tunnels. There has to be one that leads to the docks, right?" He asked, looking up at the older boy with pleading eyes. Kenji looked off to the side before turning back to the group. "Follow me." He said, running to a rock.
      Blue ran through the jungle, with (Y/n) not far behind. They had been running for a while, when suddenly, (Y/n) tripped. She used her hands to catch her fall, but that didn't go well for her, as her injured wrist began hurting more. She let out a cry of pain and gripped her wrist tightly. Blue stopped running and looked back at her, roaring in confusion. "I'm fine. I just have to..." (Y/n) trailed off, looking at a tree. "I'll make a splint for my wrist." She said, walking to the tree and taking two small twigs and some vines. She tied the vines around her wrist, then looked around. "I wonder how close we are to the others. Maybe they already made it to the docks?" She asked. Suddenly, she heard heavy footsteps and a low growl. She gasped, and ran into a bush, hiding in it. Blue stood in front of the bush protectively, as Toro approached. Toro growled at Blue and Blue roared right back. (Y/n) held her breath, and shut her eyes as the two had a stand off. Then, after a few minutes, Toro let out a loud roar and walked away. (Y/n) listened to the sound of Toro's footsteps fade, and when she could no longer hear them, she stepped out. "Phew, that was close." She said, making Blue snarl in agreement. "We're too vulnerable out in the open without the rest of the pack." She said, resting her chin between her thumb and index finger. "We've gotta find a safer way to find the others." She mumbled, looking around. At first, she couldn't really see anything to help them hide, but then she noticed a hidden tunnel. "There!" She said, her and Blue rushing over. She looked inside it and smiled. "Yes! Thank you Kenji! This is a tunnel that runs underground to the main park!" She cheered, looking at Blue, who looked slightly confused. "This will take us to the Docks, and we won't risk running into Toro or Indominous!" (Y/n) explained, making Blue roar as if she shared in her excitement. "Come on! If we hurry, maybe we can catch up with the others!" She said, heading into the tunnel, with Blue right behind her. The two were unaware, however, that a certain dinosaur was following them.
      The group was running through the tunnels, all of them followed Kenji, who was having trouble finding his way around. "Are we sure Mr. VIP knows what he's doing?!" Brooklynn asked, helping Yasmina walk. "Kenji took me down here before. Just trust him. We'll be out of here in no...time." Darius said, trailing off when the turned a corner to see that the path was closed off by a gate. "Everything looks different with the lights all freaky like this, okay?!" Kenji defended, before running in another direction. "This way!" He said, making the others follow him. However, they were met with another security gate. "What?! This wasn't here before!" Kenji yelled. "Why are there so many security gates?!" Sammy asked in frustration. "The evacuation.... The park but be locking down automatically!" Brooklyn said in realization. "Oh, we have to go 'round! This way!" Kenji huffed, running in another direction. "Maybe losing Ben and (Y/n) is effecting him more than we ore he realizes." Brooklynn muttered, making Sammy nod in agreement before they followed the group.
      The group ran for a little while longer, but every possible exit they came to was closed off. Eventually, they stopped by some lockers to take a break. Brooklynn and Sammy searched the lockers, leading Brooklyn to find one of the tasers that Dave and Roxie had when they first arrived. "Oh! We can use this for--" Kenji grabbed the taser and tried to  use it to open the exit they were at, but ended up getting shocked instead. Brooklynn picked the taser up and turned it off. "--a walking stick." She finished, handing Yasmina the taser before crossing her arms. Darius put a hand on Kenji's shoulder. "Kenji, we know how much (Y/n) meant to you. If you need to take a second--" "I'm fine!" Kenji said, cutting Darius off, before leading the group again. However, they were only met with another security gate. The group let out complaints, before the intercom came on, letting them know they only had half an hour. "Not helping!" Kenji yelled in frustration. "Just try to remember. Breathe--" Darius tried again to calm Kenji down, but it didn't work. "What  do you think I'm doing?! Coming down here was your idea, Darius, so just back off!" He fussed, making  Darius finch. Sammy walked up to them with a nervous look. "Uh, guys? The tunnel we came in, where does it end?" She asked with a fearful expression. "It opens up into the main park, I guess. Why do you--" A loud roar sounded, making the group gasp and look down the tunnel. They saw the shadow of a head of a dinosaur. It snarled for a few minutes, before walking around the corner to reveal that it was Blue. However, the group didn't know this and let out cries of fear when they saw the Velociraptor. Blue snarled at them for a second, slowly approaching them.
      "Nobody make any sudden movements.... If that's one of (Y/n)'s Raptors, she's probably going to look for (Y/n)...." Darius whispered, as the group whimpered in fear. "And what do you think she'll do to us if she doesn't find (Y/n)?!" Yasmina whispered back frantically. Blue got up close to the group and snarled quietly, sniffing each one of them. She looked at Kenji for a second and sniffed him, making him whimper and shut his eyes in fear. Suddenly, Blue stopped snarling, and turned around, letting out a call. "D-Darius. Please tell me, she's not calling the rest of her pack." Brooklyn asked, not taking her eyes off the Raptor in front of them. Just then, they heard footsteps and saw the shadow of a human. "Is that..." Sammy trailed off as the person rounded the corner, revealing themselves to be their friend. "(Y/n)!" They all yelled.
      "Brooklyn! Darius! You guys are all okay!" She said, running to them. She immediately hugged Brooklyn, before going to hug the others. Kenji stared at her in shock. Her clothes were torn, and she was covered in mud. Her hair was knotted up and tangled, with a few sticks poking out, but other than that, she seemed ok. If he wasn't both terrified and in shock, he would have though she looked hot like this. Kenji when to hug her, but stopped himself, remembering the stuff he had said to her. "How...how did you find us?!" Darius asked in shock. "Well, when I got carried off, Blue found me. She tracked you guys from Kenji's sent. We had a small encounter with Toro, but then we found this tunnel. Blue must have realized how strong Kenji's sent was, because she began to run in your guy's direction." She said, making Blue let out a call, which startled the group at first. "Don't worry. She won't harm you. You have my trust, so to an extent, you also have her trust." (Y/n) said. "Where is the rest of your pack?" Kenji asked, finally speaking to the girl. (Y/n)'s eyes saddened. "I'm not sure. I haven't seen any of them." She said, looking down. "We are so glad you're okay!" Brooklyn said, hugging (Y/n) again. "Me too." She replied. Just then, Blue let out a roar and ran off. "What's up with her?" Yasmina asked. "I'm not sure." (Y/n) asked, watching her dino-sister run off. However, right after that, another loud roar was heard.
      "Please tell me that's another one of your Raptors?" Sammy mutters, gripping (Y/n)'s shoulder, as the group looked down the tunnel in fear. "That wasn't a Raptor roar." (Y/n) responded. "That was--" A low growl was heard as Toro rounded the corner "--Toro." Darius muttered, finishing (Y/n)'s sentence as dread overcame the group. Toro let out another roar, causing the group to run. "Now you know which way to go?!" Brooklynn asked as they ran. "You wanna stop and ask him for directions?" Kenji yelled back. "Not the time guys, just keep running!" (Y/n) yelled, pulling ahead of the group. They ran for a while, before (Y/n) spotted a vent. She ran over to it and pulled it open. "In here! Hurry!" She yelled, leading the others to file into the vent. (Y/n) crawled inside and closed it just as Toro ran past them, Darius and Yasmina crawled to the other end of the vent and tried to get it open. However, they made to loud of a sound, and it echoed through the tunnels. The group was dead silent for a few seconds, and nothing happened. They let out a sigh of relief, which quickly turned into a cry of fear, because Toro shoved his head into the vent. She got way to close to Brooklyn, and (Y/n) saw this. She crawled over in between the two and kicked Toro in the face, making her back off. Darius and Yasmina got the other end of the vent open, and the group frantically crawled out.
      As they all caught their breaths, they noticed a sign that said 'exit to South Docks, 1000 feet.' The all ran excitedly to the end of the tunnel, but they soon stopped laughing when they saw the exit was sealed off. "No! No, no, no, no!" Kenji cried, as he and the others rushed to the sealed off exit. They pushed some stuff out of the way, trying to see if there was anyway out, but had no luck. "There's gotta be a door or..." Kenji was cut off by (Y/n), who had realized something. "There's no way out." She spoke up, as everyone turned to look at her. She looked at the sealed exit with a sad look. "They sealed this exit off when they finished building the Park. Claire told Masrani they wouldn't need it since they had the monorail." She explained, remembering what her brother had told her. Yasmina scoffed. "Ugh! Can't anyone associated with this place make just one good decision?!" She asked in frustration, before Toro roared again. They all gasped and looked down the dark tunnel, knowing that Toro would be there any minute. Everyone looked at Darius with fear. "Darius. What do we do now?" Kenji asked, making Darius look down. "I don't know." He responded. Toro roared again, making the group gasp before looking at Darius. "But you always k-" "I don't know!" Darius yelled, turning away from the group. "I don't know what to do. I didn't know what to do about Ben, or Bumpy, or when we thought we lost (Y/n), or when the Indominous Rex attacked." Darius said, before Toro roared again, making everyone whimper.
      Darius stood up and checked the wall again, only to grunt and hit it. "All I did was make bad choices, and get everyone into trouble, and mess everything up." He said, before hitting the rail next to him. " You never should have trusted me. You should all have turned to (Y/n) for help. She knows the park better than anyone and is actually an leader. I should have just stayed home. I'm a dino-nerd who played a video game and I'm no good at this." Darius said, sadness and regret washing over him. "But you are." Kenji spoke up, making Darius look up at him. "Good at this. I mean, like, I'm sure you're fine at video games,  too, not down playing that,..." (Y/n) whacked the back of his head, pointing out that he needed to make his point. "...But... none of us would have known what to do, Darius. But because you didn't give up, we didn't give up either." Kenji explained. "You kept us goin', no matter what some of us have done." Sammy said, muttering the last part. Yasmina sat down next to Sammy. "You made us feel like we're in this together." She said, her and Sammy making eye contact, before looking away from each other. "So, we are. We're a team. We're your team." She continued. "As a leader you're never going to know what exactly what you have to do." (Y/n) spoke up. "Every choice you make can lead to something bad, and you never know what is going to happen. It's a leap of faith that you have to make in order to survive." She explained, putting her hand on Kenji's shoulder. "Things fall apart." Brooklyn added. "And that's okay, because when that happens..." "We pick up the pieces, and we keep going." Darius finished, with a small smile. (Y/n) walked over and held her hand out to him. "That's the promise we make every day we get." She told him, sending him a comforting smile. Darius returned that smile, and took her hand. She pulled him out of the rail he was in. The moment was ruined, however, by Toro who had decided to let out another roar. Only this roar was louder, meaning Toro was closer. "He's getting closer." Brooklyn whispered. "Let's see what's in these crates." Darius said, and the group split up. Kenji and (Y/n) approached a crate, and Kenji began to open it. "Come on, something pointy! Come one, something hurty! Come on..." He opened the crate and the two looked in with high expectations, only to be sadly disappointed. "...medical supplies. I think you jinxed it." (Y/n) said, looking at Kenji. Darius and the others walked over and looked inside the crate. Darius picked up a canister. "We had these around the house when my Dad got sick." He said. "Super compressed air, sensitive to pressure and heat!" He said with a smile, as he put the canister back. "Might be able to scare Toro off." Brooklyn suggested. "Or it could distract him long enough for us to find another exit! We'd just need is something to light it with." (Y/n) said. Yasmina smirked and turned on the taser, making everyone look at her.
      "Kenji, (Y/n), let's get this crate on that cart. Sammy, Brooklyn, use those bandages to make a fuse." Darius said. Toro let out another roar, and the group hurried to do their task. When Toro entered the room, he looked around but couldn't find them. As he searched the area, the group tried to light the fuse, but were having some difficulty. "Yaz." Brooklyn whispered. "I'm trying. It won't light!" Yasmina whispered. Just then (Y/n) got an idea. "Wait! Hand sanitizer!" She said, turning to Kenji and opening Ben's pouch, pulling out some hand sanitizer. "This stuff will burn!" She whispered, pour the fluid onto the fuse. Yasmina put the taser up to the fuse again, and this time it caught fire. "Thanks Ben." Brooklyn muttered, as she and the others smiled at the fuse. Toro let out a roar, which cued the group to push the crate. "Now!" Darius yelled, leading the group to collectively push the crate towards the dinosaur. Toro roared and charged at the crate, while the others took shelter. Their plan didn't work, however, because the fuse didn't make it in time, and Toro rammed into the crate, sending stuff everywhere. The group screamed and backed up as fire got close to them. They looked at Toro with fearful expressions, as they watched him stand up and roar at them.
"Run!"
"Where?!"
"Anywhere!"
      The group split up and ran for their lives. Kenji grabbed (Y/n)'s hand and pulled her with him. They ducked under a ledge to avoid Toro's jaws, before running away. The were about to hide, when they saw that Darius had escaped Toro with the taser, which was on. The two ran over to him and held their hands out to him. "Darius!" Kenji cried out, getting the boy's attention. Darius grabbed their hands and was pulled up. The two took cover, while Darius turned around and through the taser at a canister, before  jumping behind some metal crates with the others. Just as he did, an explosion went off, making the others cover themselves. Kenji pulled (Y/n) close to him to protect him from any shrapnel that flew their way. When the explosion was over, and the smoke cleared, the group emerged from the debris, coughing to get smoke and dust out of their lungs. "Is everyone okay?" (Y/n) asked, sitting up. Brooklyn checked herself out before smiling. "Surprisingly... yeah." She said, making Kenji let out a relieved laugh. "Whoo-hoo! We did it! We beat..." The group exchanged smiled, before they heard something moving under some debris. They looked and saw that Toro had also survived the explosion, but was badly injured. He group was nervous at first, before (Y/n) walked in front of the dinosaur and glared at him. "Uh (Y/n)? What are you doing?" Sammy asked. "Unsaid rule of the predator world: If you're too injured to continue the fight, you back off." She replied, not looking at the group. The others looked at each other, before standing next to (Y/n) and glaring at Toro, showing that they would keep fighting if they needed to. They had a small stare down, before Toro roared, and left the tunnel.
      Upon seeing this, the group cheered. Out of excitement, Kenji and (Y/n) hugged each other tightly, before realizing what they were doing. They looked at each other with awkward looks and slowly inched away from each other. "Doesn't get better than that." Darius said, as Yasmina approached them. "Wanna bet?" She said, smirking. The others looked at her in confusion, as she pointed to the wall. They turned their attention to the wall to see that the explosion had broken a hole in it, and they could get to the docks. The group smiled and ran towards the docks, each all excited to finally be going home, but when they made it to the docks, their smiles were wiped away. All the ferries were gone. "They're gone...." Darius muttered. "They'll be back for us... right?" Sammy asked, unsure of what to thing. "Of course they will." (Y/n) said, with a new determination in her eyes. "And until that happens, we have each other." She continued, walking to stand next to Kenji. "Right Hotshot?" She asked, smirking as she punched his shoulder. "Absolutely, Raptor-girl." Kenji smirked. Brooklyn walked over and wrapped her arm around (Y/n)'s shoulders. "Hey, don't forget Superstar." She said, smiling. "Barf." Yasmina commented in a joking manner as she leaned on Sammy's shoulder. The group all smiled at each other, but once again, those smiles faded, as they all looked out into the horizon, completely unaware of what they'd have to face the next day. "We thought it be fun. We thought we'd be safe, but, we didn't realize the horror waiting for us on the island. Claws, teeth, screaming... so much screaming. But despite all the hardships, we'll never give up. We'll keep fighting. That's the promise we make everyday we get. We will survive. We will get home. Because no matter what happens, no matter what this place throws at us next, none of us are in this alone." Darius said, turning to his team, before leading them back into the forest.