xx.

"Dude, chill. I was waiting for you." Rocky finds his way into Cobi's other arm. "Where to?" he asks, looking at Theo.

"You could've stayed on the couch, not in my sister's room," Theo exclaims and I bite my tongue as my head heats up.

This isn't the time for a sibling banter, not when my friend is battered and bruised.

"Where to?" Rocky presses with his face stern and his tone firm.

"I have some first aid kit in my room." Theo tries to lead the other two around to his bedroom door.

"Yeah, how 'bout you get that while we wait for you on the couch?" I interject, taking Theo's place.

"Right," Theo whispers and enters his room, closing the door after.

"Wow, runs in the fam, huh?" Cobi says, barely. Each word is harsh for him. It's evident.

"You sir, have a lot of explaining to do," I say as we help Cobi sit on the couch. He stifles a grunt as he settles down.

"It's not as bad as you think," he murmurs through his battered lips.

"Still bad, bro," Rocky replies.

I take another scan of my friend's face and they're both right. The shock made me feel like it was worse but it's bad nonetheless.

"Don't you think we should be at the hospital? Not at our worn down living room?" I ask taking a kneel in front of Cobi to check his wounds.

"No. No hospitals," Cobi answers firmly. "And what's wrong with your living room? It's cozy."

"Whatever the truth is we can find a way to cover it up to your Dad." I hold his hand having a gut feeling why he's beaten up like this and who did it.

"You shouldn't lie to your Doctor, Nam. That's when a simple lie of 'I just tripped' becomes a seizure after," Cobi says.

"I don't think it's smart not to go to your doctor either. What if you get a concussion," Rocky explains, his brows brooded.

"Again, not as bad as you think." Cobi twists his wrist and bites his lip while doing so making it seem like he's convincing himself not us. 

Theo runs from the hallway to the living room with a first aid kit on hand. He's panting and his eyes are unfocused.

"We're out of betadine," he exclaims, "and pain killers and gauze pads," he ends with his voice mimicking a boy asking for help.

"So much for a first aid kit," Cobi chuckles.

"I can drive you to the store," Rocky says, his car keys dangling from his hand.

"Great. Nam, you go," Theo demands as he sits beside Cobi and puts the kit on the coffee table. He starts rummaging through it without bothering to look at me.

"I can do the first aid, you go with Rocky," I say taking the kit to my side but Theo holds the kit firmly and looks at me.

His eyes are quivering but there isn't any room for my plea.

My throat becomes dry and a sense of chill runs through my spine.

"Again?" I pierce Theo with the weight of the word.

"Nam, you go," he ignores me with his soft words. "Please."

Cobi carries a question mark all over his face as he looks at me for an answer.

"Let's go, Nam," Rocky says as he takes my wrist. "Just message us the list." He guides me into our main door but my eyes stay on Theo.

--------