xv.

Cobi steps on the brake pedal and the car takes a halt smoothly in front of a modern zen home. It's fair size tells a story of a well-to-do family who chooses to live out of necessities and a bit more but not to the point of grandeur. The wooden accents with it's grey painted walls scream elegance but it's not condescending. 

     I have always admired this house whenever we pass it. It's on the middle class side of the town so we pass by it whenever we make a trip from and to our house. Our town's built based on the caste system for some reason. The wealthy are on the upper east side, middle class on the middle and the rest are down south beyond the train tracks. 

     "I guess this is what Rocky's family is like, Theo," Cobi says straining his neck to get a view. 

     I roll my eyes. "Why is he here?" 

     "I'm dropping you off, that's why," Theo answers as he scoots his upper body forward between Cobi and I and eyes the whole facade. 

     "I thought we're fighting?"

     "Yeah, but sooner or later we'll make up anyway so I figure I have to drop you off. Why Rocky anyway?"

     "Brooke's obviously setting them up, that's why," Cobi replies.

     "Thank you for your unprecedented assumption Mr. Villa but no." I look at my right to look at their house one more time. "Brooke said Rocky's family is one of the perfect references for the Diversity Drive so I had to interview them or whatever so I can get an idea for my mural."

     "And you believe that shit?" Theo interrupts as he slides himself back into the passenger seat. 

     "Where are we getting at with this conversation?" I tilt my head to face him. This is the first time in a week I have looked at him, eye to eye. 

     "Just treat it as work, you know? Keep it professional." He spreads his hand with the last line.

     "Wh-what do you think am I gonna do there? It's an interview!"

    "You're hopeless. Just don't fall for their," Theo laughs sheepishly and then modulates his voice, "Oooh lovely girl, what's your family like, or how's University, or you look good with Rocky-chan. And then before you know it you've fallen for their charms."

     "I don't know, Theo," Cobi rests his head to the side, "That's sounds like something you would do."

     "Shut up," Theo mutters.

     "I mean what's wrong with them liking Naomi, that's kinda cool, don't you think?" Cobi bows his head slightly to take another look at the house. " And besides, who knows, we might have another hang out place soon."

     "Whatever, I gotta go," I say as I grip the handle but my hands go numb. I sigh and try again but to no avail. 

     "Dude, why the hell are you anxious? It's not like you're meeting your boyfriend's family," Cobi comments. 

     With the resulting irritation of his remark, I manage to finally pull the handle and successfully take myself out of the car. 

     The back door opens and Theo emerges into view. I crouch to meet Cobi at eye level. "Thanks for the ride," I say before closing the door.

     "Hey, Nam," Theo calls after I take a few steps into Rocky's family lawn. 

     I turn and I see his sincere eyes. "What?"

    "I get it, what you said that night. I get it."

     "And?"

     "I'm sorry for being in denial about it. Just wanted to let you know, I hear you."