Chapter 20: Aegean, The Booming City

By noon, the twins had returned to the sprite settlement with Ari in tow. She walked in a proud and content manner, raising her claws almost as if skipping. She also held her tail high, making swooshing sounds as she waved it in the air.

"You're looking pretty happy for a dragon that spent an hour chasing fish," said Eila, skipping along with Ari.

Tomas held his hands behind his head, walking behind the two. Once they saw the man in green, they ran over to him, explaining they had been by Lake Eriida's shore. In the meantime, he and Nino had visited other sprites, buying goodies for the remaining stretch to Aegean City. Before she left, the nocturnal bus driver gestured at him that they would need to catch another ride there, which could take until sunset.

So, the group was faced with the boring task of waiting at the station for a regular bus to drop by. Fortunately for the twins, Narciso happened to call them once they sat down on the benches. Eila, tapping the lily tucked in her hair, sat in between Tomas and the man in green so they could listen in. A bus arrived as they spoke, so they carried on their conversation while moving their luggage into the vehicle.

Narciso yawned, "Woke up rather late today, dears. I feel the worst of winter is approaching, what with shorter daylight and all. How are you faring?"

"We're fine, had a nice time at the lake. We couldn't go swim, but Ari enjoyed it!" Said Tomas. Ari purred next to him, nuzzling his hair.

The group caught up with each other as the bus rode down a hill, where Aegean City's tallest buildings rose into view. Like mighty spears piercing into the clouds above, the glass skyscrapers attested to Aegean's technological advancements over the rest of Eosia. The metallic arches jumping about the city gave it the appearance of a futuristic kingdom, ripped right out of a science fiction story their teacher read to them once.

To the twins admiring them from the windows, it seemed as though they approached a whole new realm. A realm made of steel and glass twisted into perfect geometric shapes.

The closer they drew, the more detailed the houses appeared. The wood and brick houses of Cherub and Zephyr Town were dwarves compared to them. Even the cottages of Mount Reilu's resort seemed diminutive.

The bus rode ever closer to the coastal city, passing under one of its steel arcs. The dirt road underneath slowly turned a sharp black, covered in tar and stone. The man in green opened one of the bus windows to get a look at the buildings beside them, filling the vehicle with the salty scent of the sea.

As with the skyscrapers, many houses were tall, thin, and covered in steel, glass, and mirrors reflecting the sun's light. The man put his hand over his face, as the reflected light seared his eyes in an instant.

"It is winter, yet the city is bent on burning me already. Hmph," he groaned, closing the window. "Such a cacophony of vehicles and music too. I would prefer not staying here more than is necessary, children."

Eila continued staring outside, "This is so different from home... Mom and dad oughta be so lost here too."

Tomas nodded, just as the driver slowed down by a station. After making his payment, the man led the group out, all feeling like fish out of water. Tomas and Eila stood frozen, overwhelmed by the noises and vastness of the city. The buildings encroached around them, forming a maze of roads leading who knows where.

Eila clutched at the man's coat, asking "So where do we go now?"

The man in green slowly scanned the buildings around him, squinting his eyes at the signs, "First and foremost, we must find a place to stay and formulate our course of action."