Chapter 16.2: Beauty and Deception

The walk back through the forest path was met with overbearing silence, with only the sounds of screeching bats and squeaky giggles from curious red imps hiding in the bushes. The man in green followed their cackles with intense glares, causing their peering yellow eyes to retreat into the darkness.

After what felt like several minutes, a dim spark of light shone in the distance just beyond two broad trees. A beacon of joy amidst the dense atmosphere of the forest and leering imps. The trio hastened towards the exit, but the dull sound of ringing bells caused Eila to stop dead in her tracks. Her eyes darted from tree to bush, gasping as she touched the flower tucked in her hair.

The bells rung once again as Eila gently pulled the flower from her hair and close to her face. Lifting her gaze towards her brother, she gave a sheepish smile, "Um, sorry about that. I thought I heard a weird sound."

As Eila gave a weak, forced chuckle, Tomas shrugged his shoulders and continued following the man. He, in turn, would periodically glance behind his back at the twins, raising his eyebrow at Eila while she clutched the flower.

Just as Tomas sprinted out of the dark woods, taking a deep breath of the sweet aromas from Zephyr Town, the man in green put his hand on Eila.

"Forgive my boldness, but you appear to be curious about the lily you hold. By chance, did you hear a faint sound of a bell recently? If so... perhaps Narciso is attempting to contact you. Such sounds are characteristic of their telepath magic at work."

Eila stared dumb founded at him, slowly turning toward the lily. Recalling Narciso's instructions, she whispered, "I did hear a ringing noise...so, what do I do to hear them?"

Before the man could answer, a soft, otherworldly voice echoed from the lily, its interior giving off a faint metallic glow as they spoke. "Ahem, hello?"

The voice startled Eila, causing her to gasp and swing her face away from the blossom. Narciso's voice lowered as they mumbled, "Gah, did I give them a dud instead? Oh dear, that would be embarrassing." Raising their voice, "Is anyone able to hear me?"

The man groaned and said in an unamused voice, "Yes, we understand you quite clearly, Narciso. Now, whatever is your reason for interrupting our walk back to the town of the sprites?"

Narciso giggled, "Ah, I was merely testing! Yes, that's all it is, my friend. Ha, ha... Do carry on with your travels, saving Eosia and what-not."

The man sighed and began walking towards Tomas, who had stopped ahead of him and Eila sat on a fence bordering Zephyr Town. He mumbled under his breath, "Coming up with excuses to pay attention to them, as usual."

The man caught up to Tomas, engaging in a brief explanation of their conversation with Eila and Narciso. The girl walked toward the two as a gentle breeze swayed the grass beside her feet. Narciso's voice spoke from within the lily, "Is my green-clad partner away, child? I assume one of the mortal children holds my precious spawn at the moment, yes?"

Eila lowered her voice, "Yeah. It's Eila, by the way. My brother's named Tomas, and we're twins, in case it wasn't super obvious!"

"Ah, Eila and Tomas. I admit, I was quite curious as to how my esteemed friend encountered you two. It seems so odd...pray tell, how long have you been acquainted with him?"

Eila briefly lowered her eyebrows, pausing until she answered, "Um, like a year ago? It was during summer vacation, we helped him out when he showed up injured. Then, uh, we didn't see him again until a few days ago. He saved us from freezing up in the mountains! And then he came with us to visit the sprite town. It's been an interesting vacation." She chuckled after the last remark.