Chapter 34: A Guardian Awakens

Without a thought, the twins sprinted to Ari and kneeled before her. Tears mixed with raindrops on their faces as they looked at their dearest, most loyal companion. A dragon who was family to them, who shielded them from peril countless times.

Tomas grabbed Ari's head and gently placed her on his lap. To his relief, her chest rose and fell without struggle.

"I'm so sorry, Ari," Tomas whispered to her. "We should've been more careful. But... thanks. You deserve some good rest."

Eila pet Ari's neck, leaving dark red soot on her hands. She wiped her face with her sleeve, frowning at the sound of an annoying laugh.

"Dragons are such loyal creatures, aren't they?" the Nether Oracle said in a mocking tone, "and too stubborn to know when to give up." He prepared to cast another spell. "Unfortunately, your friend's foolish sacrifice will be in vain!"

Smoke and dark magic drained the remaining warmth in the air around the twins, drawing it into the gaping void contained in the staff's crystal. Zaps and crackles leaked out of the crystal as it filled with the Oracle's rage and darkest desires.

"You should've run when you had the chance."

The twins exchanged looks and faced their enemy with frowns on their faces. Tomas took a deep breath, sweat coating the gem shard clutched inside his fist.

With a quick wave, another blast flew their way, threatening to eliminate any who stood in its path. The Oracle threw his head back and cackled, already anticipating his victory.

Without hesitation, Tomas threw the shard at Eila. "Up to you, sis!" he shouted.

The sphere flew toward the two. As it neared, the two heard eerie wails coming from inside it.

Eila joined her hands, one with the orb and the other with the shard. A flash of yellow light emerged from inside the orb and consumed Eila. Suddenly the freezing cold that enveloped her since arriving at the temple vanished. A comforting warmth embraced her, growing until it too touched Ari and Tomas.

The dark blast hit the light covering the trio but did not explode. To the Oracle's confusion and distress, the dark spell mixed with the light and vanished.

"No," he groaned. Something in the deepest corner of his heart reached out and squeezed his chest. An emotion he first recognized when he fought Xybelios. A feeling he despised yet clung onto him like a tick: despair.

The Nether Oracle screamed and cast several spells. The despair only grew as the light absorbed them.

Another beam of light fell out of the orb into the ground under the twins, filling every carving and crevice with yellow. The light coursed into each of the Sky Pillars, flowing up them until beams shot out to them like beacons lighting the night.

The twins stared in wonder, mouths agape. The Sky Pillars suddenly looked full of hope, and it melted their fears away. Rainbow-colored lights flashed from the orb as it drifted out of Eila's grasp.

The twins contemplated the orb as it stayed still midair. Suddenly, the orb jetted into the clouds faster than the two could keep up with.

Boom!

A distant explosion echoed in the clouds, like thunder without lightning. The storm became quiet, the air stilled, and the rain went away in a snap. The Nether Oracle's eyes became blank, his expression listless as he dropped his staff. His hands quivered as little sparkles appeared in the air around the Ilenes. A voiceless "no" escaped from his rotten, gnashing teeth.

Sparks of light coated the temple on the other peak, causing it to glow with beautiful aurora-like colors. Clouds were painted in a golden light, making the sky look as if night turned into day. The twins covered their eyes as the light grew ever brighter.