p a r t 9

Taehyun had just entered what Renjun claimed to be "shadow woods hollow" shortened to "swah" by the fairies who were apparently too lazy to bother saying the entire thing. Taehyun wondered if everyone in the forest was as grumpy and unfriendly as Renjun. 

The entire place was studded with crystal flowers, top to bottom, and the evergreen vines were overgrown, but they somehow gave the place a more cozy feeling. Taehyun was speechless as he stood rooted in his spot, his eyes shifting from place to place as he got a good view of the entire grove. Renjun floated a little above him, tapping his foot against the air impatiently and rolling his eyes. 

Taehyun felt more at home than he'd ever felt in the castle. 

"What were you here for, again?" Renjun questioned, plucking one of the crystal flowers from a bush and fluttering his way towards Taehyun, curling the flower into his hair like an accessory. Taehyun chuckled, the fairies back home loved playing with his hair too. 

"I saw a dungeon in a vision? I need to find that dungeon, I think it might have something to do with your guardian." Taehyun muttered. Renjun who was now making a flower crown simply stared at him blankly. 

"I mean, I can help you find your way through the forest, but I'm just a fairy, and I don't know this so-called dungeon you're speaking of," Renjun mumbled, placing the messily finished flower crown on Taehyun's head and tsking at his own handicraft. 

"I mean, we could just walk around, try to find the place or something, right?" Taehyun questioned, immediately regretting it after looking at Renjun's judging expression. 

"Geez, your majesty, this isn't an amusement park where you can just casually cruise around. It's really dangerous here. Stepping on the wrong vine could end up with it killing you." Renjun muttered, rolling his eyes as Taehyun blankly muttered, "shoot you're right."

"You got any better ideas, tiny guy?" Taehyun questioned, chuckling when the fairy scoffed and glared at him. This led to him going on a rant about how he was taller than most fairies in the forest. A few minutes in, the fairy realized how he was blabbering and stopped himself, freezing mid-air before clearing his throat. 

"I say we go to crystal hollow. It's in the middle of the forest and houses shadow tree, y'know the huge tree thing that's the life source of shadow woods? We're bound to run into something on the way..." Taehyun was quick to nod, accepting this notion almost immediately and standing up. Following his lead, Renjun quickly fluttered up to his shoulder and took a seat on it. 

Taehyun whistled lightly, calling for Meyli who appeared out of thin air, startling the living daylights out of Renjun who proceeded to yell at the horse crankily. The three set of on their journey further inwards the forest and even though Taehyun would've hated to admit it, this forest that was 'dying' was way more gorgeous and full of life as compared to the woods back home.