•25•

•••
THE FOLLOWING CONTENT WILL BE NARRATED BY ONE OF THE CHARACTERS
•••

ARI'S POV
*Ari's home*
His frantic bangs and screams tear me away from my book, sending me flying to the door. His screams— they're so fucking scared. I throw open the door, and without a word he enters quickly.

"Get your shit, the important shit," he yells, tears in his eyes as he speaks. His car is outside, and I can see lots of stuff in it, but still plenty of space. I tremble as he runs through the house, throwing a few random clothes.

"What—" I begin, but he shushes me.

"Don't. Just... Don't," he says, in such a frustrated tone that makes my heart break. Whatever's going on, whatever it is... I'm going to follow him. Without a word, I quickly run upstairs, ransacking my wardrobe, pressing jewelry and other valuables, cards, money, insignificant little things that hold the most of my memories... I stifle a cry as I leave my room, still full.

No need for tears, I think, rushing downstairs. My feet thump as I meet Manu, his eyes red, lips quivering, and hands gripping huge bags of other valuables. If it weren't for the fact that it's my manu I would've thought it was a robber or something.

I shake my head lightly, waving a silent goodbye to my house, rushing out into the cold night, into the safety of Manu's car.

He starts the engine, doesn't even ask me if I have my seatbelt on as he always does, just drives as fast as he can, not caring the frantic honks of other cars. I beg him to slow down, practically screaming, but it's like he can't hear me... Or more like, actually can't hear me.

It's not until we're miles and miles away from the city that he slows down —just a little— and begins to catch his breath. Beads of sweat trickle down his perfectly sculpted nose, down his full pink lips, and all the way to his neck. I bite my lip, waiting for him to speak.

"Henry," he begins, gripping the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles are turning white. "Henry's in the mafia... He and Lilac want to... Kill you," he stammers, making a few pauses.

"Oh," I simply respond, not wanting to cause a scene because I'm worried he'll get some kind of stroke with all this worrying.

"We have to get out of here, Henry has contacts and all..." He says, his voice just a tad calmer.

"W-where are w-we going?" I say, my voice barely a whisper. He looks at me, not caring about the road. His hazel eyes lock with mines, his stare so desperate and serious.

"Arianna," he whispers, looking at me. "Do you trust me?" His voice has changed, it's now gentle and timid.

I don't bother thinking, I already know. "I do."

He smiles, a tiny smile that I can barely see, but still giving me hope that everything will be alright. "Good."

"So... Um, where are we going?" I say.

"Spain. My hometown, somewhere hidden," he says, trying to sound hopeful, but in the end grabs the steering wheel with his left hand and grips his hair so hard with the other I'm afraid he'll pull of his beautiful brown locks.

"Stop," I say, sternly. He jumps, looking startled. "Don't do that to yourself... You're ruining yourself, my love."

He smiles, new tears in his eyes. "How can I not? I'm taking you to another fucking country, to a new life, ripping you apart from your family, friends, and all your usual routine... I'm ruining your life," he says, the last part is ragged and weak because his voice is becoming weaker with sadness. It breaks my heart, I feel a piece of me breaking... that may just be food digesting into my system, but I don't care.

"Manu... You're saving me. I'd be an ass if I didn't go with you, if I would rather stay here and die! I will go with you wherever we need to go... Because I love you."

He smiles, gripping my hands, and we both cry silently, bitter tears, but we both know that even if it won't come soon...

Hope is here.

•••

Vote ⭐
Comment 💬
Enjoy 👑