Layer

After the two sect leaders clarified whatever misunderstanding they have – if there is, between them, their relationship from when Jiang Cheng was 'teaching' Lan Xichen returned. However, now, Jiang Cheng didn't dare be presumptuous again in 'teaching' Lan Xichen, though it is likely that the other party wouldn't mind, and even if Jiang Cheng could, but he doesn't see the need to.

Today, the weather is fine and Lan Xichen was summoned back to Cloud Recesses by their elders.

"Sect leader Jiang, I will be taking my leave." Lan Xichen said and slightly bowed, regret was in his voice.

Jiang Cheng didn't dare think deeply what could be Lan Xichen regretting. "En." He nodded.

A flash of loss can be seen in Lan Xichen's eyes as he stared at Jiang Cheng who wasn't looking at him, and instead his gaze was locked to the bright, blue and vast sky.

After he was sent by his uncle and their elders away, Lan Xichen was puzzled. They just told him to find something he had lost, and also to explore the world outside the Cloud Recesses. Although still doubtful, but he is obedient and he complied.

He reached Yunmeng, which is the nearest to Gusu. He was filled with expectations when he reached the place, only to receive disappointment when he was scammed by the vendor. Fortunately, someone who knew him arrived and saved him.

However, the moment he turned and laid his eyes on the person clad in purple, for some reason, his heart skipped a beat before it beat wildly in excitement, anticipation. He felt some familiarity, and he wanted to be close to him. Thus, he followed him – Jiang Cheng. He stuck to him like a ghost. He felt that he doesn't want to be apart from him, thus he shamelessly followed him always.

He doesn't know why he felt this way, but he relished the present moment. When he was forced to go back to Cloud Recesses, he tried to find some clues as to what he feels. Yet, he had to resolve the problem at the moment, before he could resolve his emotional problems.

Thus, after they 'reconciled', Lan Xichen stuck himself to Jiang Cheng again. And now –

"I'll come back immediately." He told Jiang Cheng.

"Hm? No. Take your time." Jiang Cheng said as he turned to Lan Xichen.

Lan Xichen felt disappointed by Jiang Cheng's response, yet his disappointment disappeared when Jiang Cheng finally looked at him. "Mn." He nodded before he turned to the junior disciple that fetched him, and then they left.

Jiang Cheng watched as Lan Xichen's white figure slowly disappeared in the sky, then he lowered his head before he turned behind him and saw another white figure, together with a black figure. "You finally arrived." He said, gone is the light tone in his voice when he was speaking to Lan Xichen earlier. "Have you found a clue?" he asked them.

Lan Wangji and Wei Wuxian nodded. "It is entirely different from demonic cultivation." Wei Wuxian answered. "The process doesn't use resentful energy. Instead, it is too clean. It was like – " he said and turned to Lan Wangji. " – the Lan clan's music cultivation. The Lan clan uses the music, the waves it created, as a medium. Meanwhile, what happened to Zewu-jun – " he turned to Jiang Cheng. " – that person used the light to mess with one's brain. However, that's not entirely it." he frowned. "The light, actually, is just a distraction. While he distracted his opponent by incapacitating his opponent's vision, he uses his voice which was created using qi to enter his opponent's brain and mess with their memory, and destroying their cultivation eventually." He explained.

Jiang Cheng sucked in a cold breath and he looked up the sky, as if he could see Lan Xichen's figure from the clouds drifting above. "How do we save him?" he asked.

"That – " Wei Wuxian scratched his head as he turned to Lan Wangji.

"This enemy from the east, his origin is unclear, but we have already killed him." Lan Wangji said. "Voice is similar to music. I will go back to Cloud Recesses and inform uncle and the elders about the process, and see if we could cure my brother's condition." He explained.

Jiang Cheng nodded. "I'll leave him to you." He said and walked away.

Wei Wuxian sighed when he saw Jiang Cheng leaving. "Why is he so cold?" he asked, helplessness in his voice.

However, Lan Wangji have some other thoughts different from his husband's, Wei Wuxian. Earlier, they watched Lan Xichen and Jiang Cheng talk and waited until Lan Xichen left before they approached Jiang Cheng. Wei Wuxian was just looking with his eyes, but Lan Wangji could see beyond what Wei Wuxian have seen.

Jiang Cheng may have looked cold on the surface, but the warmth in his eyes can't be concealed as he looked at Lan Xichen. 

(A/N: there'll be more clarification later when the XiCheng's relationship was resolved! Hang in there!)