Epilogue

14 YEARS LATER

Bang! Bang!

I lowered my gun and grabbed the binoculars at my side, looking for my kill. I zoned in on the dead deer laying across the branches.

"Woooo," I shouted, turning around to wave at the guards following me.

"You finally got one," Augustus said. I smiled.

"Finally, indeed," I said, taking off without warning towards the doe.

"Don't run off damn it," August yelled as he and the others ran after me. I lost the guards along the way and was slowed to a mere jog when I found someone hovering over my girl.

"Ciao," I greeted the obvious man's back. He only turned his head enough to view me from his peripheral.

"Ciao," he said, his voice deep. I tilted my head to the side to try to look over his shoulder.

"You're in my way. She's mine," I said, tapping my foot impatiently. The man laughed.

"Yours?" He stood to his full height and wiped his dirty gloves on his dark tactical pants.

"Yes, mine." The man turned around and this time I was able to see his face. His eyes bore into mine as we made sudden eye contact. His glare softened and he raised his rifle.

"I shot her," he stated. I showed my pink rifle as well.

"No, I did."

"Where'd you aim," he asked, eyes wandering my face.

"Head," I replied, looking at his feet where the beauty lay.

"You shot her in the head? Yeah right."

"Did you," I asked with a frown. What the fuck did 'yeah right' mean?

"It's more likely."

"Because...." I trailed, waiting for him to elaborate. He didn't say a word, seemingly thinking as he pursed his lips.

"How do I say this politely?"

"You can't," I said through gritted teeth.

"Oh! So you know why? Great. Enough said then." The man lowered himself, flexing his arms to carry her. I grabbed his shoulder and pushed him aside. He lost his balance for a moment but caught himself with his hands pressed firmly on the ground.

"I'll be taking her. Thank you." I went to pick her up and groaned, her weight too much for me.

"Doesn't look like you're taking her anywhere. I'll take her off your hands for you," he offered sarcastically, this time pushing me back. I didn't catch myself, my ass landing on the moist ground. I kicked him in the back and he released a deep breath, one that frosted in the cool morning air. He stood once again, hovering over me. I looked up to him and we didn't say anything, the silence deafening. He reached out to help me up and I half expected him to push me back and laugh, but he just looked me over shamelessly. I returned the favor, shamefully taking in his physique.

I was 19 years old and he didn't look much older.

I'd put him at 22.

His shoulders were wide and he stood tall, probably at 6'5. He had on a black turtle neck with a black jacket over it. He had black hair—no, dark brown— and it was peeking from the black beanie he had on.

When my eyes finally reached his, I noticed he was smirking. His light brown eyes shone even more in the early morning's rising sun.

"You look like you're about to rob a poor mama birds nest," I said, not holding my tongue.