Chapter 26: The Cowardly Ferret

"Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded," hisses the voice of Voldemort through the Great Hall. "You have one hour."

A loud silence echoes. No one moves.

"What are you waiting for? Someone grab him!" A voice yells and breaks the air. Harry looks over.

It's Crabbe.

Goyle yells out in agreement. Harry's friends move around him.

"Oh, shut up." Pansy hexes them both and then smirks triumphantly.

She moves towards Harry along with Blaise and a few other Slytherins. The rest of them looks skeptical or agree with dumb and dumber.

More students start crowding around Harry and it warms his heart. 

Then he hears a distant yelling that starts getting louder. He looks to the entrance to see Filch running with his cat in his arms.

"Students out of bed!" He yells and trots over.

"They are supposed to be out of bed, you blithering idiot!" Scolds McGonagall.

"Oh," he pauses and looks around. "Sorry, ma'am."

"As it happens, your arrival is most opportune. If you would, I would like you to please lead Crabbe and Goyle along with the rest of the Slytherin house out of the Great Hall."

"Exactly where is it I'll be leading em to ma'am?"

"The dungeons will do." She says rather smugly.

Everyone cheers and the students are led away. Harry cranes his neck to look for Draco but doesn't see him among the mass.

"Where is Draco?" He asks Pansy casually.

"He doesn't go here anymore," Pansy says. Harry frowns.

He hopes Draco is okay.

Harry makes his way towards McGonagall.

"I presume you have a reason for returning, Potter. What is it you need?"

"Time." He huffs. "As much as you can give me."

"Do what you have to do." She nods at him. "I'll secure the castle." He starts walking away but then pauses and turns back around.

"Potter," McGonagall says in a melancholy voice. "It's good to see you."

"It's good to see you too Professor." He turns and nods to Neville. "Hold the fort, Neville."

***

Draco apparates into Hogwarts with a loud crack. His heart pounds loudly in his ears.

He spots Blaise and grabs him.

"Harry, where is he? Is he safe? Is he alright?" He bombards Blaise with frantic questions. Students rush around them.

"I'm not sure. Last I saw him he was looking for something. The lost diadem or something like that..." Blaise says. They move out of the way of the hysterical crowd.

"Where? Where would that be?" Draco is panicked.

"I'm not sure. Come on, let's go looking for him." Blaise says and eyes Draco nervously. Draco nods and they start running. "I'm sure someone will know where he is."

"-maybe he's gone to the Room of Requirement." They overhear Ron and Hermione talking. Draco looks to Blaise and they change directions. That is enough for him.

They make it to the Room of Requirement right as the door disappears into the wall.

Draco curses. He pictures in his head what he needs. Harry.