Chapter 4: An Accident and Surfing

My paws had only just left the wet grass when I was tackled. Forced to phase, I landed on my back and felt a steel solid object land on my waist.

Opening my eyes, I find that Dax was the one who had tackled me and was now sitting on me. I reached for his chest to push him off when he grabbed my wrists in a firm grip. What? I think. Great, the only Guardian I know that can take me down. Struggling to get free, I see Dax isn’t moving much. I looked at his arms. They were tense, and looked like they would rip his t-shirt at any moment.

Since he was sitting on my waist I get an idea. Using as much of my Guardian strength as I dare do Dax won’t go flying into Elizabeth, just enough to get him off. I need him in the back.

He had been expecting something like it, so instead of getting flung off like I hoped, he smacked his forehead against mine.

Ouch, I think.

I hear laughter, so I turn my head and see it is Elizabeth, with Calla glaring at her.

If looks could kill. It was Dax’s thought.

“Ya I wish.” I answer.

Dax shook his head, “no. Cause’ I would be dying.”

“Dax you know I wouldn’t do that. But I have to admit, you’re pissing me off.”

He smiled. “I’d rather you be mad at me than her.” He nodded towards Elizabeth. “She could, and would, hurt you a lot more than I would.”

“Please. You are the only Guardian I have ever met that can take me down. I’ve beat Elizabeth before. You were there last time.”

He didn’t seem to like that very much. “You almost broke your shoulder remember? I knew she was gonna’ do something to you today. Nobody else would have stopped you, except maybe Shay. But you would have fought him and eventually kicked his butt.”

I smiled at the thought. “Okay. Will you let me up know. I’m not going to go rip out Elizabeth’s throat.”

“Promise?”

“Nope.”

“Then I’m not letting you up.”

I growled at him and bared my canines. “Get off now.” As much as I hated it, I was using my ability as alpha to order my pack.

Dax looked uncomfortable, but didn’t move. “I am not completely in your pack, remember? So that alpha crap doesn’t work on me.”

That made me angry. Using as much strength as I could since I couldn’t feel my legs, I kneed Dax in the back again. Big mistake.

He still didn’t go flying off me like I planned. Dax slammed his steel chest into me, knocking all the air out of me. I tried to suck in air, but it was cut off when Dax’s lips pressed against mine. Warm and soft, they filled me with warmth and light. Even with my eyes closed there was a blinding white light. My heart thudded loudly in my ears.

As quickly as they were there, they were gone. The light faded and I sucked in a deep breath. I could not believe what had just happened. Dax stared at me in disbelief, slightly shaking his head.

I felt his grip on my wrists loosen. He let go and ran a hand through his hair, and rubbed the back of his neck. He slowly stood up, looking at me with an almost sorry expression on his face.

“Maybe you should go rip Elizabeth’s throat out.” he said it in an angry tone. I watched his jaw clench and unclench. “Before I do.”

“What are you talking about? You didn’t hear what she said.” I propped myself up on my elbows.