3 | The First Play

Song: Haikyuu Season 3 - Novice Finalists

----------------------------

"Niiiii-chan! I played with a real cat today! With my teacher and Makoto-kun! She was orange in colour. She... she... she then slept on my lap, I couldn't move. Because she was sleeping! I did what you do with me Ni-chan, I let her sleep on my lap! So she's my cat, like I'm your cat! Yaaaay, I'm Tori-ni's catttt!"

She was so cute... my baby sister! And currently she was driving away the loneliness that came with my boarding school life, with her stories.

Every now and then, her thoughts would latch onto a new string of thought, her description skipping around everywhere like a hyper little monkey... all of that chaos was just the right balm to my soul. Her diversions, distracted my own thoughts that tended to fall into despair, as though that was their natural state. 

"You'll always be Tori-ni's, Misa-chan," he promised her.

"Yaaaay! And what did Tori-niiiii do?"

But before I could launch into my story, another call interrupted us, only to be cut immediately.

"Misa-chan, Tori-ni is getting a call. May I call after you have your dinner? Remember to finish your peas though, otherwise I won't tell you the best story for today."

"Okayyyy Tori-niiiii! I'll finish my peas, I'll clean my tea set and help mama make mochi. So I want three stories now!" 

Sigh... I missed playing with her, already. Misa-chan's absence pierced through my loneliness everyday.

"You do that, Misa-chan. Be sure to make the sweetest mochi for mama, okay?"

"Yes Tori-ni! Byeee!"

She hung up.

... I was back to my reality and the ever-present loneli-

"Hey Tendou! Hurry up! We're going to the courts to get some extra practice!"

-ness.

Was that Semi Semi?! He... he was here to call me?

I hurried to open my door. 

I had to confirm that I wasn't hearing voices.

And there he was. Semi-Semi stood there there with a puzzled frown on his face, along with Wakatoshi-kun, who was as stoic as ever.

"Tendou. Switch into your practice gear, man. We'll wait here for you."

... They'll wait... for me...

Without saying a word, I nodded at them, closed the door shut, switched to my practice t-shirt, grabbed my jacket, knee pads and elbow pads, and opened my door back, all within a minute to see them still there.

... They were still there...

"Right, let's go," said Semi-Semi, and led the way for us, to the courts.