10 | Her Hate, Their Fates

Song: Haikyuu Season 3 OST - Prejudice

-----------------------

*buzz* ... *buzz* *buzz*

And this time it was Wakatoshi-kun's phone.

"Yes? Yes... Hmm... Just now... Right now?... Hmm... Okay." His voice was steady as he answered the deep male voice on the other end. "I have to go with Mika-chan, Tendou. If I'm not back by tomorrow morning, let the coach know someone will be in touch."

I nodded as he jogged off toward the main gate.

Mysterious calls...

... No, more like summons.

The Ushijima Clan—always so secretive, wrapped in layers of mystery that made my brain itch. My imagination ran wild, leaping to the craziest possibilities. What really went on with them? Every thought led to new questions, a new rabbit hole I couldn't resist diving into.

Maybe I read too many shounen mangas, but honestly, this whole thing felt like the start of some epic family saga with hidden powers and ancient rivalries... maybe just the epic family saga.

And I was dying to know how it all played out!

Tomorrow...

Tomorrow, I was gonna start digging, try to figure out what made the Ushijima clan so... extra. There had to be something under the surface, something that had their youngest members all worked up—and I was definitely gonna get to the bottom of it.

————————————————————

The next day, neither of the Ushijima cousins showed up. Not to class, not to practice. Figures. Practice was the usual torture session (literally—my muscles were still screaming), and Washijou-sensei even got a call during it. The fact that he had one of those ancient flip phones was news to me. When my thoughts drifted to Wakatoshi-kun, I realized he probably wouldn't be showing up anytime soon. But the clan actually let them skip school? Were they really flexing their influence like that?

As I mentally ran through all the possible reasons behind it, I headed to dinner. A glorious plate of tonkatsu, three bowls of rice, some coleslaw, and miso soup—a perfect post-practice feast. I devoured everything in perfect proportion, like it was some kind of ritual, savoring every bite as the warmth worked its magic on my sore body and foggy brain.

Just as I was about to grab some herbal tea from the counter, the dour faces of the Ushijima cousins appeared at the canteen entrance.

Ooo, the real tea is here!

I waved at Wakatoshi-kun, and the duo headed straight toward me.

Semi-Semi plopped down next to me out of nowhere, armed with two tetra packs of orange juice. I dove for one immediately.