45

Elora Moreno

I finish up folding the washing and put it into the basket in front of me on the sofa. I take the basket under my arm and support it with my free hand.

I walk over to Cayden's room and creak it open lightly, ensuring I don't wake him up. I peak my head around his door to be met with the sight of his back rising and falling ever so gently. The sound of his small and delicate breathes filled and circulated the atmosphere around him as the nocturnal birds sung hymns as he slept.

I leave his door ajar as I make my way upstairs to my bedroom to put the clothes away. I pass Aaliyah's room on the way and notice her door is left slightly open with the only light being provided through both her lamps on her bedside tables.

I shrug it off and walk into my room to put the clothes away in my draw. I walk over to my bedside table before hand to turn the lamp on dimly.

As I hum quietly to myself I fold up some of Aaliyah and Cayden's clothes. Looking at both their clothes make me cry sometimes.

Weird huh?

But let me tell you why.

Every time I look at their clothes, especially Cayden's because Aaliyah is now and adult and has sort of stopped growing. But I like to lay Cayden's small onsie and Aaliyah's big hoodie next to each other. I look at Cayden's clothes and remember Aaliyah was that small once, and here she is now. All grown up, going off to Paris with her boyfriend. My days as a mother used to seem really long and mundane, but before I knew it, in the time it took me to take one short breath, they grow up.

And sometimes you never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.

I inhale a deep breath through my nose as I take Aaliyah's pile of clothes in my hand and walk back down the hall. I knock lightly on her door incase she's busy.

But instead of Aaliyah's voice I heard a deep rasp whisper

"Come in." I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. But then I remembered it was Harry. I walk into her bedroom to see Aaliyah resting on his chest as Harrys fingers play with her hair lightly as the dim light reflected off them both.

I smile and chuckle to myself slightly as I place her clothes on the end of her bed. I perch myself down next to Aaliyah and rub her head softly. I look over to Harry who is looking no where else but the ceiling.

"You okay dear?" I ask him.

"Yeah yeah. Just... thinking." He says while furrowing his eyebrows in concentration.

"What's on your mind?" I ask out of curiosity.

He looked hesitant to ask me. He looked down and picked at his nail beds a couple times as if what he was going to ask me would change something

"What is the essence of a sunflower?"

I was taken slightly by surprise as he asks me that. But it didn't take me long to know that

"Aaly asked you that didn't she." I say while looking back down at her. She rests her hand underneath her cheek as she sleeps ever so soundly.

"Don't let it trouble you." I say before pecking a kiss on Aaliyah's forehead. I begin to walk out of Aaliyah's bedroom as I turn around and say

"Goodnight you two." I go to close the door before Harry interrupts me and says

"Do- do you not want me to go? Because I can go back home if it's too much troub-"

"Harry. I said goodnight. I wouldn't say that if you were in the way of staying the night." I say before chuckling lightly, he does too.

"Goodnight Elora." He says before closing his eyes and moving down so both him and Aaliyah are lying flat on the bed. I shut the door behind me and smile brightly to myself.