Chow of Pup

"Welcome home, Indie," Mikey said as we exited Father's car. I looked up at the light blue bigger-than-a-house-smaller-than-a-mansion and took a deep breath. I slung my bag over my shoulder and stepped to the side so that Minimus could hop out of the vehicle. 

Now, do you remember what I said?

THE GIRL WITH THE CURLY BLONDE HAIR IS YOUR MOM AND SHE'LL BE SCARED OF ME, BUT I SHOULD JUST STICK BY YOU AND I'LL BE FINE.

Exactly. 

It feels so weird to be back.

I know, right? I didn't think it would feel like this...

LIKE WHAT?

Like I'm a traitor.

"Ready to come in?" Mikey asked.

I looked over at him and nodded. "Yeah, yeah sure." I smiled a bit, and he and I walked towards the house. My home.

Home is such a complicated word. 

What are you on about?

I used to think this was my home, because I lived here and my parents lived here. But then, when I was taken, I started to feel that where ever we had set down camp was my home. And now, it's like neither feels like a true home.

Alright, you lost me.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is what makes a house into a home?

I always classify where ever I'm living as home, even if I don't like it there. 

I think that home depends on where you like to be. Your favorite place is your home. 

What if it has to do with love? You know, the whole "Home is where the heart is," thing. What if my home is lost now, because my heart is torn in so many directions?

Where is your heart leading you?

I don't know. But not here.

"Alright, wolf-talk time's up. You've stalled for long enough. Let's go." Mikey stepped behind me and physically pushed me forward.

I rolled my eyes and started walking forward. "Alright, I get it. Calm down," I said looking back at him. When I turned back towards the house, I saw Mother standing in the doorway, and I froze.

"Hi," she said.

"Hi," I replied. Mother ran down the steps and pulled me into a rib-cracking hug.

"Oh, Indigo, what happened to you?" she cooed.

"What?" I asked, pulling back.

"Are you all right? No injuries?" Mother started looking me over for any faults.

"Mother, I'm fine. Nothing happened to me. There's no need to worry yourself."

Mother looked me straight in the eyes. "What do you mean nothing happened to you?"

"I mean, they were kind to me. They weren't bad people. I even started thinking of them as family. They wouldn't hurt me." Minimus made a bear noise (Honk?) and I picked him up. "What is it this time?"

THAT'S YOUR MOTHER?

"The one and only."

SHE'S VERY PRETTY.

"Yes, I think so."

"Indigo?" Mother asked.

"Yeah?" I responded.