29. Discovery

"Lukas?" A familiar voice called his name, rousing him from his light rest. It took him a moment to register it belonged to. "Can you hear me?"

"Nati?" Lukas joined the voice in his Mindspace. Joy and surprise mingled in his heart when he confirmed his hopes and absorbed Natalia's beauty. "You have come to me."

"Yes, it appears I have." A giggle escaped as she reached out to touch his projection. He was amazed both by her presence and by the laugh. The moment felt like a memory from his youth, but so much had changed between them.

"I had forgotten how strong your mind is." Lukas touched her hand as it reached for him. "Like no one's but mine, you can reach so far. When we have time, I must train you. There is so much the Masters did not teach you."

"Lukas," she said again with laughter still infusing her voice, reminding him so starkly of his youth. "We must see who will need the training when we next meet." As she teased him before he could be annoyed at her words, memories of their shared history flooded his Mindspace. They flowed past them like a river, none slowing enough to see the specific image but all reinforcing the strength of their connection. As the stream of his memories raced by, he pulled her closer.

"Ah, either way, it will be interesting." His previous annoyance at her arrogance was forgotten as the innocent love that had bridged from his youth to his early adulthood spread warmth through his chest. Lukas couldn't resist the urge to taste her lips, and she needed his power to strengthen the connection. If nothing had changed, even in Mindspace, touch, especially a kiss, strengthened her power.

"Yes," Nati whispered after he withdrew his touch. Lukas caught a glimpse of a slight frown forming on her lips before she smiled at him again.

"Why have you sought me out?" She had an agenda. He pushed the conflicting emotions that knowledge induced out of his mind and lay his forehead against hers, keeping their connection but removing some of the intimacy. "You have not brought Raja with you. I suspect that he, and not your desire to see me, has brought you here."

"Can you feel the change in him?" She asked, confirming his suspicion but not moving from his embrace. "Do you understand the source of his new power?"

"Yes. His Elemental power has been released," Lukas pushed away with a sigh. The fields and soft outlines of thatched roofs disappeared as his mindspace shifted to the deep black he preferred when discussing business. Their relationship had fundamentally changed with his decision to leave her. He could no longer predict her thoughts or trust her motives. The Nati who had been his wife had transformed into this bold woman who traveled the Mind Paths, a skill only a few ever mastered. Though she spoke of Raja, she also held this incredible power that should be feared. "He has a power I never knew existed. Why do you come to me about this?"

"He has so much of it, I worry. I need to know more about Raja, and you know him best."

"What do you need to know?" What was Nati trying to do? What did she need from him? Suspicion intermingled with an unfamiliar sensation. It took almost too long for him to recognize the cold stone in his stomach as fear. Everyone in his life had betrayed him except Nati, even Raja. Yet, he had betrayed her. Would she repay him now?

"Lukas, I am scared for him." Her voice trembled. The need to protect her overtook his actions, and Lukas immediately pulled her back into his chest. The years between them disappeared momentarily, and she became his Nati again, his best friend and wife. But the moment passed, and he remembered she wasn't his wife anymore; they were almost strangers.

"What frightens you, Nati?" His voice was soft, trying to soothe her and understand more.

"He has more power than anyone should have. It is," Natalia explained, gripping his arms tightly. "As much power as you have, but much less controlled."