Chapter 12 - Someone from The Past

"Well, there's a way you can pay me back..." he trailed. His words make her nervous instantly. "And what is that, Mr. Paxton?"

Josh smiled and move his face to get closer to hers, "come with me to my mother's birthday party next month, as my date." Kate was taken aback when she heard him. "Excuse me?"

"You hear me dr. Reynolds. Be my date for my mother's birthday party."

Kate looked right into his eyes. He has this charming smile on his face right now, but Kate just doesn't know what to answer him. She opened her mouth but the words won't come out.

"Fine. In one condition," She finally stated. True, he saved her life. But she won't just agree with him voluntarily. "You have to join me for one of our ADHD Therapy Session." Josh kept starring at her eyes, making Kate feel a little bit intimidated. But she doesn't want to show him that he can dominate her.

"Deal."

That scene somehow kept playing on Kate's head for weeks. How can she agree to him? She doesn't want to attend any other fancy events. She felt outcasted. Kate hasn't said anything yet to anyone about the deal with Mr. Paxton. She doesn't know how and she just doesn't want her friends to think that she has an interest in Josh. Well, she wouldn't lie that Joshua Paxton has really attractive physical traits, though. But his cocky personality sometimes drives her crazy. She knows exactly the type of guy like him is the type of guy she must avoid.

It's been a week or so since they got back from the summer camp and though Kate made a deal with Josh, they hadn't communicated at all. Kate wishes Josh would just forget all about the deal and leave her alone in peace. She certainly doesn't need another stressful thought about the idea of the luxurious Paxton birthday party.

Ever since they came back from the summer camp, Beth has been really watching Kate's health. She was furious at Isaac when she found out about the incident. Although she also relieved that Noah and Josh came in time for Kate and the little boy. Beth would make sure Kate eat regularly and healthy and consume enough sugar. Basically, everyone who knew about the incident would look out for her at some point. Even Tom brought her a slice of her favorite cheesecake when Kate had a night shift not long after the summer camp.

"Kate!" Tom waved at her when he saw Kate walked alone from her department, she immediately waved back. "Hi, Tom!" Tom had a couple of books in his hands, looks like he ready to head back home. "Are you done with shift or you just started?" he asked.

"I'm actually just finished. What's up?" Tom smiled at her answer. "Good, do you want to come to the public library with me? I actually need to find something about Asian traditional herbs and my mentor said she used to come to the public library to do her pre-research study."

"Yeah, sure Tom. I'd love to come with you. I'll just drop this at my desk and grab my things."

When they about to leave the hospital, they bumped into Beth. She was also about to leave the hospital. "Beth do you want to join us? We could go to Daniel's afterward." Tom asked the blond doctor. "I'd love to, but Noah asked me to hang out with me this afternoon. He said he needs to ask me something but he wanted to do it in person. Weirdo. But I can drop you guys off if you want."

***

After dropping off Tom and Kate at the public library, Beth drove to the restaurant Noah told her earlier this morning. It's a pizza place their family used to come to when both of them still kids. Although their family's relationship flops throughout the time, Noah and Beth still come to this restaurant every now and then. Beth entered the place to see Noah already seated at their usual table. He waved at her and she nodded.