Prologue

Her eyes snapped open and she gasped for breath but instead started coughing up litres of water. The action made her throat sore and she continued to cough even after the liquid had been expelled.

All she could see was the thick blackness of her surroundings. Her vision was failing her, so her other senses were heightened. The metal under her was freezing cold, her fingers slipping through the gaps. She pushed herself to her knees to balance herself, listening out carefully for anything useful she could hear. No matter how much she strained, all she could hear was the constant grinding of metal and the rattling of the cage she was in.

It felt like it had been 10 minutes until her eyes finally adjusted to the darkness and she could make out crates stacked on each other all around her. Some of the boxes were covered by sheets. Not being able to contain her curiosity, she tentatively pulled back one of them only to jump to the other side of the cage when something squealed, running around the box it was trapped in, terrified. That made two of them.

She stayed crouched in the corner of the box from that moment on until her surroundings began to change, lighting up slightly in a red hue. She looked up just in time to see the light above her turn green before she noticed the end of the shaft she was in.

She instinctively placed her hands in front of her face, bracing herself for impact, but all she felt was the box screech to a halt and then the grind of concrete on concrete as the ceiling above opened, blinding her with a bright light.