Bonus: Atara - Featherstone

From: D. Viper, Archeron

To: A. Viper, Air Base , Barracks A1, Delphie

I have gotten the message that you are situated at the airbase and will start your training soon. Good luck, niece, if things go according to a timeline, you will be finished in a few months, give your best and don't disappoint. I hope you know I never meant you ill, even after the debacle with the family, so if you need anything, let me know, I will talk it out with your superiors.

Best of wishes
Uncle Deror

The airbase is a long drawn line of buildings, cut in with open squares and diamond shapes of landing sites

The fences are high, the air is cold, and everything is greying in silver metal or the colorless attire of most of the soldiers.

Day zero of my training has started now that I drag my haversack on one arm beside me.

For the first time in my life, I share a room with two other younger women. The nameplates and color-coded stripes placate them as telkie and greenwarden. On the day I arrive, the plant manipulator, dressed in a grey shirt, sneers at me. I see it as a good tone to smirk at her, head held high. It's a funny coincidence I share a room with someone that reminds me of my best friend. But she doesn't grow flowers for me. Instead, both of them just rattle down how I have to behave and how I keep my bed.

The room is naked without many personal belongings.

The telkie has a small frame standing beside her bed, cracked on one side. It looks like the frame has been flung around and smashed something before, and the image of a stone-faced family inside reminds me of my own dead mother and father.

The greeny has a potted flesh-eating plant stationed next to her, the only color that isn't grey.

I have nothing but the pendant of my talon and my clothes.

The air is filtered and dry, the beds are smaller, but everything is ultimately in quality shape. We are not red, and many of us come from good and stable upbringings, so our equipment, clothes, and barracks will always be better than one of than average or conscripted.