Prologue: Static

He drifted soundly through the pitch black, the dimming stars being the only source of light in this dark void. He tried to feel around, searching for a floor, a wall, anything that could've been there that he couldn't see.

His efforts just left him spinning in midair, and eventually, he stopped trying.

There was nothing else in this strange place, black with specks of so-called 'light' went on for miles, no matter where he looked.

Then, a light ... an actual light caught the corner of his eye.

A green light, seeming to glide slowly towards him, bobbing as off floating on water, rather than air. It was difficult to make out what the object even was, or why it was glowing, but it intrigued the man either way. He swung his arms, which somehow felt heavy, and swam his way over to the strange object.

He got closer, reaching out a hand to grab it. His finger tips graced the side and pushed away.

That touch was enough.

His mind felt fuzzy, like a television with no signal. He quickly rapped himself into a ball and cupped his hands over his ears.

Noise came from every direction, some sounding like radio static, others sounding like an amalgamation of voices, screaming different things to him at once. Most of the voices were too distorted to make out, but he did recognize some phrases as they overlapped each other.

"̷Y̷o̶u̶ ̴s̵h̵o̴u̷l̸d̴'̸v̸e̸ ̵s̴t̵a̶y̸e̶d̷ ̴i̷n̵ ̴y̵o̵u̴r̷ ̵c̴e̴l̷l̶ ̴.̵.̷.̴"̵
̸"̶L̸o̴o̷k̶s̴ ̶l̵i̷k̸e̷ ̵w̷e̵'̷l̴l̴ ̶b̴e̶ ̴s̵h̴a̷r̵i̵n̵g̷ ̵t̵h̷i̸s̶ ̸l̴a̸s̷t̶ ̶r̴i̵d̴e̴ ̴t̶o̵g̶e̵t̸h̵e̵r̵ ̵.̵.̷.̴"̸
̶"̶I̸ ̴h̴e̵l̴p̵e̷d̵ ̴y̷o̵u̸ ̴e̷s̶c̸a̶p̵e̵.̵.̶.̷"̵
̵"̴H̴e̵'̴s̷ ̵g̶o̶n̵e̴ ̵r̵o̷g̴u̸e̶ ̴.̶.̸.̶?̵"̴
̷"̸ ̴.̶.̶.̴B̸u̷t̸ ̴y̸o̸u̸ ̴j̶u̷s̷t̸.̷.̶.̸"̷
̴"̴Y̴o̷u̴ ̴c̷o̴u̵l̶d̸ ̶s̶a̷y̶ ̶i̷t̷ ̷w̴a̶s̸ ̶t̷h̵e̸ ̴g̵r̷e̸a̶t̵e̵s̸t̸ ̴.̸.̶.̶"̷
̸"̷.̶.̴.̸l̶e̷f̶t̸ ̵m̸e̶ ̷.̷.̴.̶"̷
̸"̶I̸ ̸j̴u̵s̷t̷ ̶w̸a̸n̸t̶e̵d̸ ̶t̶o̸ ̵l̴o̷o̷k̸ ̸y̴o̴u̴ ̵i̴n̶ ̴t̵h̵e̵y ̸e̴y̶e̵s ̵a̵s̷ ̶I̴ ̸t̷o̷o̷k̷ ̶i̴t̷ ̵a̷l̷l̵ ̶b̵a̸c̸k̵ ̴.̵.̶.̶"̵
̷"̵I̵'̸v̶e̴ ̴h̶a̵d̶ ̸e̸n̵o̶u̶g̷h̸ ̸o̷f̷ ̸t̵h̶i̵s̷!̷"̴

... It suddenly went silent. He uncovered his ears, and actually examined the object. A strange, dainty device, with square buttons in its center, the middle one glowing a bright, lime green. He snatched up the device, and felt the irresistible urge to press that one button.

He gave in, and as soon as the button was pressed, one more cold, distorted voice began to whisper from behind him, seemingly right by his ear.

W̸ ̵a̸ ̸s̷ ̸ ̸i̸ ̷t̷ ̴ ̶w̷ ̸o̵ ̸r̵ ̸t̴ ̴h̶ ̸ ̷i̶ ̶t̶?̶"̴