✥︎ 15 ✥︎

Dripped In Gold

Akaashi Keiji
Present Day

He gazed at his reflection.

Keiji's fingers traced the silky material of his gown. He eyed the gold sewing on the front of the corset, the steady craftsmanship of every insignificant detail. The gown itself was a warm shade of black, the gold accents blending beautifully.

He winced a little when Yuki pulled on the threads of the corset, tightening it further. She smiled sheepishly, "forgive me, your highness."

Once she finished with the gown, another maid came over to place the heavy shawl on his shoulders. The material of the shawl was softer but thicker. It was warm, keeping him safe from the harsh cold of winter. Fukurodani was much more frigid than his home, considering it was nearer to the high mountains.

A thin, gold collar-like necklace was wrapped against his throat and Yuki made quick work to tie the strings at the back to keep it in place.

He stroked it, the cool gold numbing his fingertips. Everything was so soft, so fragile on his skin. Even growing up as a royal member of his family, he still never wore such marvelous items.

"You look divine," one of the maids sighed, her eyes twinkling. Keiji ignored the compliment, too distracted by his reflection. So this is what he would look like from now on.... some dressed-up trophy for King Koutarou to show off.

"Yuki," he finally spoke, his voice quiet, "...what will happen?"

"Pardon?"

"The wedding, what will it be like."

Yuki hummed, nodding in understanding. "Well, Fukurodani is rather a traditional place, so the wedding will take place for five days. Every night, a grand feast will be presented for the couple, you and King Koutarou. Each day will be filled with festivities and extravaganzas and finally, on the fifth day, that's when the actual wedding takes place."

"Hm," Keiji said absentmindedly, bending his fingers in front of him. "S-so what happens during that?"

Keiji has only ever been to one wedding ceremony. It was for one of his sisters, who married a noble. The wedding only lasted a day, though, and it ended with a feast with family and other nobles that were close to the royal family. Sinnan was far from the traditional ways, taking a simpler route instead. That being said, Keiji knew very little of what a real, traditional, royal wedding was like. It was overwhelming that his first time attending one, he would be the bride.

"Well, everyone gathers in front of the church, you and King Koutarou will stand at the altar with the priest and he'll commence the ceremony. After, the newlyweds, along with their chosen guests, celebrate with one last grand feast, then the night is ended with the bedding ceremony-"

Keiji jerked away from Yuki, his eyes wide as his cheeks flushed a deep shade of red. He could feel his stomach drop, his throat tighten with his heart lodged in it. "W-what?!" He squeaked out. "You mean..."

Yuki blinked, eyebrows raised slightly before she smiled with amusement. She chuckled, along with a few of the other maids. "Well, of course, Your highness, as I told you, Fukurodani is a very traditional place. In order to officiate the marriage, the wedded couple must mate and bare the mark of their partner. How else would you present that you've been mated?"