✥︎ 6 ✥︎

The Return of the Queen

Sawamura Daichi
Present Day

The sun was beginning to set, filling the sky will a flurry of colors most only see in paintings. Since the morning, the weather has cooled a bit, sending a salty breeze from the nearby ocean.

He sat on the ground, his back pressed against the single, large tree that planted itself in the middle of the country fields. In the distance, he watched as the field workers mended the crops. He's been watching them since he was just a teen, just as he's been sitting at this tree.

The tree held many of his memories, ones dear to him. And it held memories of others, just as dear to them. This tree was probably the wisest tree in the whole kingdom.

Daichi hummed out a breath, resting his eyes as he tilted his head back. The leaves rustled above him, a few of them falling from its branches. He knew he needed to get back to the castle soon, but it was so tempting to just lay out here. He missed sleeping under the stars.

"What's so interesting about the stars? It's just a scattered mess."

"Not if you look close enough. They tell stories."

"Father!"

Daichi flinched, his eyes fluttering open as he sat up further. He looked over to see Tadashi running towards him, Shouyou coming in tow. The boy was waving his hands wildly, grass stuck in his orange hair. "Your majesty!" He cheered loudly, tumbling to the ground once the two boys reached the king. Tadashi sat on the other side, huffing out heavy breaths.

"What are you doing all the way out here? Yui sent us to look for you, father. The guests are beginning to arrive."

Daichi raised his eyebrows, "oh," he glanced back at the castle, which looked a little smaller from where he sat, "I hadn't realized it was that late."

Shouyou tugged on his mantle. It was a different one from what he was wearing this morning. Much to his disappointment, Yui had made him change. This one was pure white, with the fur of some animal bordering it.  "You're getting your outfit all dirty, King Daichi." Daichi glanced down to see that, in fact, he was getting it dirty. Shreds of grass and dirt were splotched on it from where he'd been sitting.

"It's okay," Tadashi reassured, "you have plenty of others." Daichi chuckled, pulling the two boys closer. He wrapped his arms around them, hugging them. Tadashi smiled brightly. "You seem to be in a better mood now."

"I am. I enjoy you boys' company."

Shouyou glanced up at the large tree, watching the branches sway. The branches were ragged and twisted, a dark, burnt looking brown. The trunk was just as jagged, shooting out at different angles like a broken bone. "This tree is so ugly."

Daichi barked out a laugh, tossing his head back. Tadashi gasped, eyes widening and he leaned over to flick Shouyou's arm. "Shouyou! You can't say that, it can hear you."

Daichi ruffled Shouyou's hair, the boy was pouting as he rubbed his assaulted arm. "But it is! Who would plant such an ugly tree."

"This tree has been around for centuries. Long before any of us," Daichi informed. "It knows more than any human to ever walk on this earth."