Chapter 9: Demon's Whisper

K Y U N G S O O

"H-Help—" I choked out the words, my whole body trembling because of terror as I moved to step back, stumbling towards the door of the comfort room and pushing it open. When the bloody figure of Dong Hyun finally left my face, that's the only time I was able to regain my voice. "HELP!" I started screaming at the hallways and everyone turned to me to look. "PLEASE! Someone help us!"

A few students moved forward, albeit hesitant, and that was all I needed before I rushed back to where my former classmate lay unconscious on the cubicle floor. Professors started to arrive and the growing chaos of shouts and gasps urged to me to think clearly. I slapped my cheek once and took a huge intake of breath before running to the nearest school clinic, grabbing an available wheelchair before rushing back to the scene. In my hurry, I bumped into someone standing in the middle of the hallways, his eyes fixated on the crowd behind him.

"Shit!" the man cursed when the wheelchair hit his leg. "What the fuck—?!"

"I'm sorry!" I panted, glancing at him quickly. I recognize him. He's one of Kim Jongin's friends— The tallest one with the messy silver hair and deep voice. Before I could fully run pass him, I felt a steely strong hand take me by the arm, stopping me. I gasp at the sudden pain.

The man looked into my eyes. "What's happening?"

It only took me a second to answer despite the shock. "I think— I think someone tried to commit suicide," I answered in a shaky voice. With that answer, the silver-haired stranger let go of my arm and when I finally went back to the comfort room, I realized he had followed me.

The professors and some students helped Dong Hyun to the wheelchair while other teachers forced the curious crowd back to their classrooms. Because I'm technically a witness, I was told to accompany Dong Hyun to the clinic while he gets treated. It appeared that he did lost a lot of blood but since he was found early, there'll be nothing one bag of crystalloids can't fix.

That's what they said, I thought as I sat on one of the waiting chairs outside the infirmary. But they didn't see him... They didn't see that look of terror and confusion on his face...

I felt a cloth drop on my back and I looked up to see Byun Baekhyun standing in front of me, a small sad smile on his face. He just lent me his knitted jacket, draping it around my shoulders, and I cannot deny the comforting sweet smell that comes with it. Behind him, Jennie is looking at me with pure worry.

"You okay?" Baekhyun whispered as he sat beside me. "We heard it was you who found him."

"I'm okay..." I murmured. "I was just... surprised, that's all."

Baekhyun reached up to caress my back as he rested his head on my shoulder. Jennie sat on my other side and although we're not really that close or anything, she unthinkingly took hold of my hand then grasped it tightly. As weird as I would like to think of it, I cannot deny how suddenly calm they are making me feel right now. The two of them don't need to say anything else.