Chapter 1: Welcome

K A I

I'm basically drenched in the rain and no one seemed to care.

I walked past the university gate, the security guard on duty barely giving me a glance as he seemed to be engrossed in watching something on his phone. Without really looking or listening, I already know what it is. Porn. I heave a sigh, but not that of disappointment. More of boredom. Of knowing what to expect. I looked at him again and he glared when he caught me staring. What an incompetent piece of sh*t.

To be perfectly honest, I do not know if knowing people's weaknesses is a gift or a curse. It has been nothing but a burden ever since so I managed to train myself in tuning them out whenever I want to. Maybe the Devil gave it to me. To us, the Fallens, just so we could do our 'job' well. I don't really know.

A car honked loudly, speeding through the road and almost hitting me. "Watch where you're going, idiot!" Someone screamed and so I pulled my luggage faster and towards the nearing building.

The university grounds is your typical valley like landscape, with towering buildings here and there. There are fraternity and sorority houses within sight and the largest soccer field I have ever seen. I can't really see much because of the rain and the dark. Lighting struck and the rain fell harder on the pavements. The few students around walk faster with their umbrellas at hand. Okay. Maybe I could save the sightseeing for later.

I pushed open the glass doors of a huge, beige building with the words Office of Student Affairs embossed in steal on its outside walls. I looked around, not really knowing if this is the right place or not, and the pitter-patter of rain from my clothes to the floor the only sound I could hear. On the far wall, however, is an elegant looking counter where a seemingly bored woman is stationed.

She stared at the now wet floor around my sneakers. "Oh Jesus," she rolls her eyes at me. "You're not gonna clean that up, are you?"

I tried so hard not to snap at her so I just started to walk closer to the counter, dragging my luggage. "I'm—" then I stopped because holy f*cking sh*t. I do not know what to say! Who am I in this world now? What personality do I take in this mission? I fumbled for the back pocket of my pants, looking for a wallet or whatever. There's none. I don't even have a bag except for this huge thing I've been pulling along since who knows when.

The woman raised an eyebrow. "Name?"

Holy f*ck. What name do I give her? Should I say 'Kai'? Or should I just make something up? I f*cking needed an orientation and the Devil might have been really pissed at me because It obviously didn't give me that much favor.