Chapter 2: The Fallens

K A I

When I woke up the next day, my roommate is already about to head out.

I slowly sat up, still a little sleepy as I gave the wall clock a quick glance. It's only six in the morning. Why is this human dressed so early? "Uh..." I started and Do Kyungsoo looked at me, waiting for whatever I'm about to say. He's stuffing things inside his black backpack that already looks a little worn out. "The orientation isn't until eight, right?" I asked.

"It is," Kyungsoo answered. "But breakfast will be served from six to seven-thirty only. Aren't you going to eat?"

Oh, yeah, I nodded to myself. Humans eat, too. Regularly— Only if they aren't poor and victimized by the biased relocation of resources in a country. It's funny how such university students are lucky enough to be served a complete meal every day, even if all they do is have sex and make fun of other people. The thought made me smile a little. I wonder if this Do Kyungsoo is just like all the other people I encounter everyday.

Hopeless. Unfaithful. Desperate. Just the right cup of tea.

My roommate took his bag and slung it over his shoulder. "I got to go," he smiled a little. Cautious. "Maybe I'll see you around."

I gave him a nod then regarded him for a moment, waiting for that familiar burst of consciousness erupt within me. I forgot to 'familiarize' myself around him last night. Who are you? My thoughts trail off, wrapping themselves around his mind, reading... feeling... What are your deepest, darkest secrets? What is your weakness, Do Kyungsoo? I cocked my head to one side as I dig through the walls of his mind and soul. Breaking all the barriers. Unearthing secrets.

But without another word, my roommate pulled his baseball cap lower, as if hiding his face. He gave me a nod then quickly walks out of the door.

"Huh?" I frowned. "I wasn't done reading him yet..."

Suddenly, I felt my stomach churn. Hunger. When was the last time I felt hungry? It feels like ages ago when the Devil last sent me to a mission. I didn't miss being human, though. Because being human means being able to feel. Mental. Physical. Emotional. They're all there. 

You become fragile. You become susceptible to pain.

Who wants that?