Chapter 28

"Is this necessary?"

I giggled.  "Yes, this crow is big and looks a lot better than yours."

He shook his head.  "If so... why must I be blind?"

I guided him to the meadow.  "Because..."

His face turned to the sky as he heard something.  "Wings?  How big is this crow?"

Sure enough, she was a distance away, coming towards us.  "Uh... rather large?"

He frowned.  "I summon crows... none are this big."

I smirked.  "I told you... this one is better."

The wind kicked up around us as she landed while he pulled me closer to his side.  "Who is this?"

I beamed.  "This is Itachi, my husband.  Itachi, this..."  I pulled him closer to her, and he froze as soon as he felt the heat coming off of her.  "Is Homura."

He tilted his head.  "And... she's a... crow?"

I giggled as she glared at me.  "Insolent little..."

I shook my head.  "He can't see you. Clearly, his eyes are bandaged."

She huffed.  "You always were one to toy with people."

Itachi relaxed.  "You know her then..."

Homura rolled her eyes.  "Over several lifetimes, unfortunately."

He bowed slightly.  "Then it's a pleasure to meet you."

I clapped my hands.  "So, what was our decision?"

She sighed and produced a scroll.  "Why I'm doing this, I have no clue."

I smiled at her.  "Because I'm awesome, and you've missed me."

Itachi took a few steps back.  "So, clearly not a crow.  None I know of have your name."

She narrowed her eyes at me as I rolled the scroll on the ground.  I noted that only one name was on the contract multiple times.  "You really must like me.  Is there no one else?"

She sighed.  "No one else can pass the trials.  I won't bend to the will of a doujutsu."

I bit my thumb and pressed it to the paper.  "I have the Rinnegan..."

Her feathers ruffled.  "You did not save yourself, this boy, or the one whose heart you stopped using it."

I nodded.  "But... why have me sign every time? It's supposed to be a one sign deal even after death."

She smiled.  "You're the one who wanted that.  Said you wanted to count how many times you outwitted me, and one fingerprint would look really lonely."

I counted.  "So, this makes 8 times.  None too shabby, in my opinion."  I stood and ran into Itachi'a arms.  "I have a summoning animal..."

He chuckled and kissed my forehead.  "But... she's not a crow."

I smirked.  "No... she's a pigeon.  Wanna see?"

He sighed.  "I do, but she's not that either.  Be nice."

Homura chuckled.  "I like him.  Maybe I'll make an exception for him.  He has cheated death twice, after all."

I frowned at her.  "You want to join his legion of crows?  Go for it."

She laughed.  "No.  I'll pass."

I snuggled Itachi's chest.  "Okay... not a pigeon.  She's a dove."