Prologue

Michigan, 1986.

Around midnight precisely, screams were heard all around town which woke up one mother who knew what was going on. She ran out of her bedroom and took her two boys and ran to her youngest child, her daughter. She rushed them to her daughters wardrobe which was big enough for her three children to hide.

"You have to stay in complete silence no matter what you hear. You understand?" The mother's voice was harsh and she sounded terrified. "If you don't hear our secret knocking code, don't ever open the doors. Do you understand?" The three children head nod once more. She hugged them all and tears were filling up her eyes. "Here's uncle Bobby's number if I-" She starts, but stops herself. The three children were so scared and perplexed by what was going on, they could clearly hear the screams and the smell of burning wood. "I love you. You will take care of each other, right?" The children were speechless and only nod once again.

She closed the doors of the wardrobe and the mother quickly took the pair of scissors from her daughters drawing table and cut the palm of her hand open. She gasp in pain and sealed the doors with a protective rune.

She ran back to her room and picked her engraved colt that her mother before her gave her. She loaded it up and ran back to the bedroom. The front door was busted open without any warning and the mother knew her time was up and she will do whatever she needs to to protect her children.

The footsteps grew closer to the bedroom and she gasped when she found out who they were and unloaded her gun on most of the people who were in the room leaving only one alive.

"Where are they?" The man finally spoke in a deep voice. He scanned the room around him but couldn't see where they were. He grabbed the mother by her neck and burned her soul which emitted light from her eyes and mouth. He finally drops her in the corner of the room and leave.

The children were hearing everything, but only saw a bright light for a few seconds before the footsteps were leaving the house. They waited in what seemed like hours in that wardrobe crying in silent worried that someone would find them.

They heard other foot steps climbing up the stairs and their little heart pounded in their chests. The footsteps went directly to the bedroom where they were hiding. A couple of soft knocks on the door were heard... The code.

The six years old girl opened the door slowly and at her surprise she saw a rather tall woman with black hair a couple of tattoos on her arms and chest in front of the wardrobe. They were almost the same as her mother's.

"Hi sweetheart..." The little girl could tell the woman was sad and careful with what she was going to say to them. They stayed silent. "I'm not going to hurt you." The lady mentioned handing her hand out for the little girl and her two brothers to take.

"What are you?" The little girl asked shaking in fear.

"I'm Brie... I'm here to save you Anya." She starts crying and Anya felt sorry for Brie, a woman she just met. "I couldn't save your mother... But I can still save you." She says and Anya finally took her hand so did the brothers.

The four of them were on their way outside and Anya noticed her mother in the corner of the room with the colt still in hand. She was faceless and it scared the three kids, but only Anya didn't cry. Instead she walked over the dead body and took the weapon in hand. She finally felt tears run down her cheeks as she rejoins the three other people she was with. As they make their way outside the hotness of the flames burning up all the other houses made the little girl dizzy and sick. The calm of the night made it look like the village was asleep, but the flames clearly reminded Anya and her brothers that their home was falling apart. The village was painted red with blood. It was completely wiped out by the glowing creatures.

They walked away into their mother's car and left the place they once called their home. After that terrible tragedy, the little girl wasn't so afraid of the monsters under her bed now... She was more afraid of what she would do to the ones who killed her mother than anything else.