4

I groaned as I came awake on the floor of my office. A pillow had been fashioned from my knee warmer and so I knew it was indeed my brother. A cup of water was also left on the edge of the desk and within reach of the pain killers. I didn't know whether to hit him for knocking me out so hard or hug him for his considerate gesture afterwards. I found my phone in my pocket and I pulled it out to find a message from an unknown number.

Unknown: Thank you for all your help. Please let me know if you ever need anything, Miguel.

I sat staring at the message for ten minutes trying to think of a reply. I never messaged anyone besides Nestor and even then it was only when necessary. I stood up to grab my bag when the world spun and I had to sit back down. I grabbed my office phone and called security to report the break in before sitting back down. Two uniformed men came running into the room while I held an ice pack to the back of my head.

"Dr Ivory, what happened?" Mr Hopps asked in a panic. "Are you alright?"

"Someone knocked me out but I didn't see who. I just woke up on the floor." I said as I looked through the glass window to the drain room and gasped. "The bodies are gone!"

"David, call the police. Dr Ivory, is there anything you can remember?" Mr Hopps asked as he paged someone.

"I'm sorry, no. I saw a shadow before everything went black. I think I have a slight concussion." I answered truthfully.

"Is there anyone who can give you a ride home? We will go through the footage and find who did this. I'm sure the police will want to talk to you tomorrow. Rest up alright." He said kindly before leaving.

Finally having a reply, I grabbed my phone.

Ivory: I could do with a ride.
Ivory: Home, I could do with a ride home.
Ivory: You are probably a busy man, I'll call a taxi.
Miguel: I'll be there in 10 minutes.

Crap, I just asked a stranger for a lift home. What the hell was I thinking? What's Nestor going to think? This is going to be the longest drive home ever. I chugged the water down with the painkillers and found some crackers in my drawers that weren't too stale. I had forgotten to eat lunch during my kidnapping and it was almost dinner time, I was starving.

A knock on my door had me shaking with nerves and I tried to think of an excuse to turn them away but I blanked. I opened the door to find Miguel looking as perfect as he did earlier and he had removed his suit jacket. The crisp white dress shirt was rolled to his elbow and his vest showed his toned figure and narrow hips. My mouth went dry as I realised I was staring and dropped my gaze to the floor.

"Ready to go?" He asked leisurely while he looked around my tidy office before looking back at me.

I nodded and slipped my lab coat off to hang on the back of the door. I stepped out before I froze and spun back to my desk. Under a few notes and photos I found the page I was after. Miguel waited patiently and curiously as I brought the paper to him.

"These came back from a sample I took from your mother's fingernails." I said softly since it was probably still sensitive for him. "Did Nestor explain my findings?"

"He said you thought it wasn't a suicide." He replied and sighed. "It would actually be a relief."

"It wasn't a suicide. There is a bone that is found here, the hyoid." I said as I ran my index finger across his throat. "And the top of the spine is made up of 7 sections of vertebrae. C1 - C7."