14

I was walked into the court room, hand and feet cuffs rattling with every step. I was sat in the gallery next to the hookers I had shared a cell with last night. I was the fourth name that was called and I walked past the bar to stand before the judge.

"Libitina Ivory, you have been charged with seven counts of felony tampering of evidence, seven counts of felony obstruction of justice and one count of failure to report a crime. How do you plead?" The judge asked.

"Not guilty, your honour." I replied and wondered where the extra charges had come from.

"I have been advised you are a flight risk. You speak several languages and are well travelled, only returning from France recently. What have you say to that?" The judge asked looking up from my file.

"The language only attest to my education, not my flight risk. I have an 8 week old son and it was my brothers funeral today. I'm not going anywhere, your honour." I stated.

He nodded and picked up the gavel, "Bail is set at $100,000."

He hit the top with a bang and I was led to the side door and through to a holding cell. My cuffs were removed and I had red rivets across my wrists that I rubbed gently. I had only sat for half an hour before a guard unlocked the door and slid it open.

"Bail's been posted Ivory. You're free to go." He said as he moved to hold the next door open.

I spotted Miguel holding Albert while Cristobal stood beside him. I skipped quickly across the space and fell into Miguel's open arm he held out. I kissed Albie's forehead and smelt his familiar baby shampoo. Kneeling down I gave Cristobal a hug too and kissed his forehead and received a big smile from the toddler. Lastly, I kissed Miguel, getting carried away as I heard cat calls and saw the hookers sauntering past.

Miguel was glaring at the loose women for interrupting but it saved me from getting lost in the moment. I looked at the wall and saw it was almost 2pm and the funeral was at 1pm. Miguel saw my panic at the clock and he took my hand leading me out the front of the courthouse. I held Cristobal's hand in mine and altogether we walked down the steps to meet Marcus at the car.

"We waited for you." He said as he pointed to the line of cars behind us.

"You have a new nickname among the staff," Marcus said as he opened my door, "Wentworth."

I snorted at the name but it's better than the Dr Death they called me after they found out my old job title, or Abadah's pet name. We pulled out and drove along the road towards to the cemetery and the long line of cars followed behind us. A block from the cemetery, the hearse pulled out in front of us and the tears began to fall.

As the priest began the burial I noticed Potter standing in the shade of a tree, watching from a distance. Fury burnt through me at his disrespect, for showing up on a day like today, after the shit he pulled yesterday. As everyone left the area I took the quiet time to approach his casket before it was covered over.

"I'll see you soon brother." I said as I dropped a single black rose into the hole.

With a nod to the funeral director I turned to catch up to Miguel. I panicked when I saw he didn't have Albert with him until I spotted my father holding him. I needed some serious therapy to get over his kidnapping, or I'll be his shadow for the next 40 years. That's only if I'm not in prison. I was surprised that no one even mentioned my arrest as we spoke, they were either too scared of offending Miguel or they were used to it.

"Ready to go home my love?" Miguel asked after we finished speaking to the last of the stragglers, well he did the speaking.

"I need to bathe in bleach." I said nodding. "God knows what was on the bench I slept on."