5

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with us Dr Ivory. I'm sure you understand this is a delicate matter." Mr Potter said as he entered my office.

"Please, sit." I said as I took my office chair and left him the faux leather chair. "The police did a thorough search already so I'm not sure how much of a help I'll be."

"Who knew the bodies would be coming here?" He asked as he crossed his legs.

"Administration and orderlies, so they could prep enough gurneys. The delivery men, obviously. Myself and your team." I listed.

"And you had no interactions between leaving the site and the bodies arriving?" He asked.

"Well yes, I had a car accident on the way back. I swerved to avoid a stalled car and lost control. You don't think they had something to do with this?" I gasped. "I didn't even speak to them, they were gone when I woke up."

"You were unconscious?" He confirmed. "And the information we gave you, the papers were with you in the car?"

"Yes, of course." I nodded.

"I believe your accident was no accident indeed. Thank you for your time, it was very informative." He said before standing but offered no handshake thankfully.

Only when I was sure he had left did I relax. I think I sold the story well enough that no one should question it further. I slipped out of my office and down the hall to the bathroom. I locked the door behind me and pulled my phone out.

"Hermosa, how did it go?" Miguel answered smoothly.

"He believed the story." I sighed. "I need a drink now."

He chuckled into the phone and I shivered as I remembered the sound from last night. A night cut short from my clumsiness.

"I'll be happy to accompany you, if you wish?" He offered. "A lady shouldn't have to drink alone."

"Perhaps a white wine would be less hazardous." I laughed.

"Then we are in agreement, I'll pick you up at 5." He said before hanging up, not even giving me an option to decline.

I still had 6 hours to go so I pulled on a plastic apron and got to work on the latest body to arrive. The insanely obese woman had been brought in after losing all feeling in her legs. I just needed to confirm diabetes complications was her cause of death. Three hours later my stomach was rumbling and Mrs Banderas was ready for the funeral directed to pick her up.

After a measly sandwich, that tasted like cardboard, from the cafeteria on the main floor of the hospital I was back to work. I was walking the line of fridges to see who was on ice and found a different name on Michael's door. I frowned at the name tag and opened the door to find a young cancer victim where Mr Ariza should have been. I quickly opened every door and pulled the trays out to look at the bodies and none of them were Mr Ariza.

Those fucking assholes, I can't believe they put the whole plan we made yesterday in jeopardy because of that body. I paced the room unsure what to do, I couldn't exactly report it along with the other bodies as it will lead back to the Mayans and I didn't know if they would throw Nestor under the bus. I was going in circles getting caught up in my head and jumped as the door behind me shut. I hand clutched my chest as I spun to face the intruder.

"You're on edge." My brother stated as he walked in with Miguel.

"I wouldn't be if it wasn't for those fucking Mayans." I growled and started my pacing again.

"Have they bothered you again?" Miguel asked concerned.

"They took an extra body with them. One that's currently in an open murder case." I exasperated. "Now I have no clue what I'm going to do because it wasn't reported with the other 6. Fuck!"