9

Every morning, as soon as visiting hours began, Miguel and Nestor arrived with trays of fresh, delicious pastries. My cesarean wound was healing well but it still hurt with every movement. Even picking up Albert in the night to feed him pained me. This morning though, I would be getting released. Like clockwork, Miguel and my brother arrived with breakfast and another book to keep me entertained.

I had no idea what my future held for me beyond today so I prayed to God that he wouldn't lead me astray. I also prayed that Miguel's sweet promises were not just hopeless wishes. Unfortunately, the words of Alexandre Dumas whispered in the back of my brain, 'remember that what has once been done may be done again.' A hand waved in front of my face and I snapped back to reality. I looked at Miguel, lost.

"Ready to come home?" He asked.

"I am missing my bed." I said nodding. "Not looking forward to the stairs but, oh Miguel, the view is to die for."

My brother's face pinched and he looked awkwardly at the door. "I'm going to see if my favourite nurse is on shift yet." He muttered before making his escape and leaving me confused.

"I meant California. The doctors said Albert will be strong enough to fly in a week and his emergency travel documents should arrive tomorrow." He said. "Don't you want to come home?"

"Of course but it doesn't matter what I want. Nestor thought the threat against me was viable enough to send me here. I'm sure that hasn't miraculously changed in the five days since you got here." I said shaking my head.

"What's changed is I have another child and I'm not leaving him behind or you. Any threats will be dealt with severely, I promise you, both of you will be safe." He argued. "Neither myself or your brother will let either of you get hurt. You are both too precious to me."

"I guess I could try get my old job back and a house nearby." I sighed reluctantly.

"What are you talking about? You would live with me." He chuckled.

"Oh yeah, because I really want to replace your ex-wife now that you have the free space. Look," I said before seeing his temper flare, "I really care about you Miguel but what you did hurt me. I'm not going to jump head first down the rabbit hole of Mr Galindo again. I'm still suffering from the last concussion."

"I divorced Emily for you, what more do I have to prove?" He rebutted.

"Then you shouldn't have." I stated. "You should have divorced her for yourself and no one else. You should have divorced her for your own happiness, for a healthier mentality, not for another person."

He paced the room before stopping at Albert's bassinet. I watched silently as he ran his fingers gently through his soft hair. I didn't know what was running through his head and it concerned me greatly. After a few minutes of silence I assumed the conversation was dead and started on my breakfast. Thankfully Nestor came back just as I was finished eating and I knew Miguel wouldn't broach the subject again. Nestor walked straight into the private bathroom and washed his hands before the nurse entered all flustered.

"You're disgusting Asno." I groaned, thankful that the nurse was pulling on gloves, god knows what she touched with them.

He laughed from the bathroom doorway and the nurse blushed scarlet red as she check my stitches. She took the chart of my hospital stay to the doctors station to start the discharge process. I gingerly climbed out of the bed and shoved my brother out of the way so I could change into some clothes I could go home in. I pulled on some granny panties, high waisted leggings and a long loose shirt. Practical but ugly clothes.

"Miguel, could I have a moment with my brother?" I asked as I emerged from the room.

He nodded and left without a word. I waited until the door clicked shut before sitting down next to Nestor.