Cathy's Comet

England  12th March 1758

My names Lillian Halley, my father is an astronomer his name is Edmund Halley, the other men always call him professor Halley. 

He works in the big white round building on the hill, the one with the big telescope sticking out the window, he works there a lot, so much that I can't help missing him so I decided to visit one day and well then I started visiting everyday. 

I don't think father dislikes my company. 

Father said as long as I was as quiet as a church mouse while I read my books in the corner I could stay and if the sun was still up I could even walk around fathers study. 

(the bearded men only came up when the stars came up they were very similar to the vampires in my book except not quite as handsome there a little to hairy)

You see my father has always loved his job dearly as much as I love my stories it's why he always spends all his time there. 

I've never loved watching the stars all day -sorry all night-  but I do like watching father look at them. 

You can see the stars twinkle in his eyes and its like the whole galaxy's dancing in them its the only time he really smiles the smile where his eyes crinkle and you can see his old dimples. 

I was hoping to get to that smile today, because today is was very special day. 

Just a few days ago my father sent in years of his research to the Royal British astronomers committee. 

And his research was approved today he will given the honor to name the comet in front of all the bearded men (except these ones also wear long ladies wigs).

Father snuck me in as his plus one apparently making the discovery of the century grants you a little leeway to bring in your daughter. 

Its very uncomfortable sitting in the big heads room. 

The table is at least one million times bigger than fathers desk, and all the people here look the same its very confusing. 

I've never really sat with people on a desk, father always told me to sit in the corner or under a desk. 

My feet can barely touch the floor so I keep swinging them and I'm afraid I hit Mr wig number 13. 

I was to afraid to look up and check but he keeps coughing so either he knows it was me or he has the plague. Im hoping for mystery option number 3. 

(THE REST IS IN PROGRESS)

AN: Katherine Halley is a real person and is the youngest daughter of Edmund Halley and was the inspiration for Cathy. The date 1786 is pure fiction and wont line up with real dates. 

However, Edmund Halley is infact famous for calculating the orbit of a comet that was later named after him the Halley Comet. During this time period its safe to say no women was allowed to touch or use a telescope (unless they wanted to be titled a witch and executed) hence why Cathy hides in the corner of Edmunds workplace (if were talking historically there is no way this would've been allowed.)

I couldn't help but think what it would've been like as the daughter of Edmund and so here it is what I think it would be a like.   

But again Edmund was probably not as doting as I made him.